Prologue: Born a Warrior

"Speech"

'Thoughts'

A/N: Author Note

Some people are born great, others acquire greatness throughout the course of their lives... Which one deserves more glory, regardless of odds? Those who reach it by sheer force of will, or those who do by exploiting their heaven-given talent...? Either way, that hardly matters. Because, no matter what, when you have greatness, you have a responsibility... 

.............................................................................................

The Oni (Demon/s) is a race of supernatural, monstrous, malevolent and extremely long-lived beings. These used to be humans, but the curse transmitted to them by the blood of the original demon, Kibutsuji Muzan, transformed them into this deranged existence.

Since ancient times, the Oni tormented humanity with their uncontrollable hunger and killer instinct, hunting and devouring them with their superhuman strength and, in some cases, special techniques that some consider magic spells called Kekijutsu (Blood Demon Art), which grants them abilities outside of the realm of common sense.

When a person turns into a demon, they lose their memories and their humanity, reason why trying to engage in non-hostile interactions with them is an insane and nigh impossible task to achieve.

To counterattack, some humans jumped to arms and created the Kisatsutai (Demon Slayer Core). An organization, which is not officially recognized by any government, that selects elite warriors who dedicate their existence to the extermination of demons and protect humankind from them.

In order to combat them, the hunters utilize special weapons, and developed and teach swordsmanship styles that are based upon unique breathing techniques called Zen Shuchu no Kokyu (Total Concentration Breathing). All these breathing styles derive on one original breathing technique: The Hi No Kokyu (Sun Breathing), which originates every other and it's possessor of legendary status.

However, not all roads lead to Rome. One family of exceptionally talented sword masters known as the Raienryu, take the main concept of original idea and use their great capacities with the blade to make their own version of it. Thus, creating their own unique style to match their unique talent and physique: the Arashi No Kokyu (Storm Breathing).

As expected, its power and potential was incredible, pushing the already outstanding Raienryu to new levels. However, such power made it an incredibly difficult style to master, even by those with the most outstanding of physiques.

With the passing of years, the Raienryu became fragmented, as well as their sword techniques, the latter becoming nothing more than a mere dancing style. Except for the main branch, who kept the family name intact and kept protecting their legendary swordsmanship to serve humanity and hunt the demons. All of this at their headquarters in Japan, Tokyo, district of Toshima.

..........

1st of January, 1896

A man runs hastily over a dirt path. His step is light and silent, so much so that the only thing that could be heard was the light breeze that combed the green grass and trees around him. His run was also extremely quick, inhumanly so.

His appearance is youthful, more or less on his twenties; his black, messy hair is tied in a high ponytail that reaches down to his upper back, and has a purple mark on one of his frontal bangs that resembled a lightning bolt; his eyes were the same color of his mark. He wore a black full-body uniform with a large Japanese symbol that read "Kimetsu" on his back. And a purple haori coat with indigo blue lines that zig-zaged its entire length vertically, from the shoulders to the opposite end, and black storm clouds on the entirety of the lower end and the tip of his sleeves flapped over his shoulders as he ran.