Prologue & Character Page

Based on "Howl's Moving Castle" ... and I'm also adding a little Disney spin to it :P
TW: Suicide, drinking, abuse

"I never should've trusted that woman!" The man, no older than 30, yelled over the crying in the room. The woman, no older than 23, who was exhausted and holding their newborn baby, sighed tiredly.

"I can't believe it..." She mumbled, trying to shush her baby. Her husband groaned but turned to her, sitting down at the bed she was laying on. "What shall we do?" Just moments before, an elderly woman- who appeared younger than she said- came to the small cottage. The couple didn't know that she was a witch, and were tricked. She cursed their child, for the husband tricked her heart. The curse was only one that could break with true love, but he was to never understand the meaning of love. The older he got, the more emotionless he became.

"We can not leave our son like this!" The man slammed his fist onto the bed, angered about his actions. His wife had yet to say how she was feeling about his, but he was sure she'd speak up eventually. Their baby wailed loudly, until finally being soothed by his mother.

"We will not. But this happened because of you..." She sighed, staring down at her baby. Looking at him, she was glad he looked like her rather than his father. "Just- let's name him."

"Name him?" The husband questioned, his anger breaking for a moment as he took notice at his wife and son: his family. He smiled for the first time in hours, resting his hand on his wife's, but she pushed it off gently. His heart ached, but didn't comment. "Jafar. It was your mothers nickname, wasn't it?" The wife smiled gently and nodded.

"Yes... I like the name. Jafar..."

7 years later...
Jafar's POV

Father works a lot, and often comes home drunk. Mother says he grieves for me, for what I have lost, but what have I lost? I do not know, and I do not feel like I've lost anything as of late. Mother says it's a joke she and father does, and to not worry about it, so I do not.

Mother does not work as often as father. She's a baker, and he's a farmer. They rarely spend time together, and when they do it's at dinner in silence. I don't mind the silence, it's peaceful for me and my thoughts. I often help mother with baking and selling goods.

"Mother, mother!" I called, and mother turned to me while she was shaping the dough. "Father's birthday is today, so can we go visit the market and pick a present?" Mother frowned, setting her dough down. It took a moment for her to finally respond.

"Of course, sweetie. Why don't you go first and I'll catch up later?" She suggested, and I nodded eagerly. I quickly ran out of our shop, and into the market place.

I found a cool hat that father would like, so I bought it for him. Besides, he needed more shade while working out all day on the farm. As I returned to the shop, I wondered why mother hadn't come by the marketplace? My answer came quickly as when I opened the door, my mother hanging from the ceiling.

...

"Here you go, father." I said, handing him his hat. Tonight, dinner was even more quiet. Father took the hat, examined it, and tossed it to the floor. I stared at him for a second, before he stood up and grabbed me by the collar of my shirt.

"Do you not feel anything!? Do you not even understand what you have witnessed!?" Father yelled, the stench of ale reeking from his mouth. I looked down at the hat, tears welling up in my eyes.

"I... I do not know..." before I could say anything more, fathers hand collided with my left cheek. I fell to the floor, a stinging pain entering my cheek. The tears fell, but I felt nothing.