thirty-eight.

(4 new messages!)

unknown number;

em, i am so sorry

i did not plan to get drunk last night

everything went so fast

can i call you?

messages read.

(2 new messages!)

mikey;

luke got back just fine

you wanna tell me what's going on now?

em;

you got a few minutes to talk?

mikey;

yeah, let me go outside

sam's asleep

she'd flip shit if i woke her up

(1 incoming call)

"hey,"

"hey mikey."

"everything okay, emmy?"

"sort of, i don't know. long story?"

"i've got time. hit me with it."

"so, anon and i fixed things, he apologized for avoiding me and promised he'd try more."

"let me guess, he failed?"

"i wouldn't say that. so, he'd sent me a photo which didn't include his face, but then a few weeks later he showed half of it. so, better than nothing, right?"

"did the photos match?"

"they did."

"okay, continue."

"so, he basically asked me on a date, which we were supposed to talk on the phone last night and plan it out, since we're both really nervous about meeting."

"and?"

"and he ended up drunk texting me a selfie and telling me his name."

"luke."

"yeah."

"so it's been luke the whole time? that's fucking weird."

"you know him?"

"sort of, he's in my guitar class. he's crashed here a few times, his roommate ashton is a hothead and likes to punch people,"

"i don't think he meant to tell me his name and i'm worried it's gonna set everything back."

"if he really likes you, em, it shouldn't. i don't know much about luke but i know he's insecure. has he told you about his ex?"

"not really, he did mention she ended up with his roommate."

"yeah, vanessa, she's a third year nursing student. not a very nice girl."

"oh,"

"look, don't give up on the guy. but, that being said, don't settle for bullshit. call him out on it, he needs to be held accountable. if you guys are going to further your relationship or whatever the hell it is, he needs to step up. i don't even want to go into what happened with joe but it's starting to feel similar, em."

"no, joe was a bad person, mike. luke isn't a bad person, i think he's just scared."

"if things don't change i'll talk to luke myself."

"no, please don't. you know how well that went with joe."

"joe was a dipshit, emerson. he was literal scum. he couldn't take a confrontation like a man."

"can we stop talking about joe already?"

"sorry, em."

"it's fine. look, i'm sure things with luke will be fine. i can handle it."

"and i'll be right here if you can't."

"thank you, mike. i gotta head to class soon, make sure sam's up by nine."

"will do, emmy. talk later."

"bye mikey."

call ended.