Chapter 57

“Young Master! Hurry!”

Her sleep was completely interrupted thanks to Pepe pulling off the bed sheet without a warning.

She wasn’t able to sleep properly the past few days because of the envelope Frank had given to her. Going to Louvre with the Marchioness prompted the whole thing.

She was conflicted between wanting to find her mother immediately or finding her after graduation with the hope to live quietly.

But it was the latter that won in the end. There were only five months left until graduation. The time would fly by. If she annoyed Marchioness by not completing it, her anger would be taken out on her mother.

The Marchioness might even find her mother before Lia did.

It would be okay to send a letter, right? It would be okay to say to meet next year. And let her know that I’m doing well?

Frank said she’ll need a ready heart to open the letter. He indicated that there might be something dangerous that could happen—and then disappeared.

Lia mustered up her courage last night. She opened the envelope Frank had given her and removed the paper within. The paper had a faint smell of oil. It was the same smell as when a tailor was ironing.

Pepe called, “Hurry! The Prince and Kieran are downstairs!”

“What? The Prince?”

“They’re heading to the North. With Master too.”

“But, why do I—?”

“You have to send them off! You have to go with Kieran to the North!”

Pepe’s hands were rather rough as she seemed to be in a rush. Pepe put on the tidiest clothes on Lia, but did Lia’s hair hastily and annoyingly.

Lia wet her stiff hair and brushed it.

“I put the satchel of clothing in the carriage already and checked on the basket of snacks. Ah, and you’ll be riding the train from here to Del Casa. You’ll ride in the carriage after getting off at Tulures Station. The North is the largest territory in the Empire. It’ll take you about three days in the carriage to the neural region, so be careful.”

It felt like she was listening to Betty whenever Pepe nagged like this.

Lia nodded fast and remembered the information Pepe gave her.

Train!

Her eyes twinkled at the word train. She looked out the windows with her eyes full of curiosity, and frowned again when she spotted the Royal flag.

A mob had gathered to watch the Prince as he left for his campaign. Some cheered and bid him a safe return, others sobbed. Wade and the nobles rode on casually, despite the cheers, shouts, and sobs.

Out of all of them, Marquis Gliad in his naval uniform and Prince Wade in an army uniform stood out as the most elegant.

Lia took her belongings and hurried out of the mansion with Pepe.

“You’re late, Canillian.” Wade waved his hand at Lia after spotting her first while lighting a cigarette.

Kieran and Gliad, who were receiving a report, also saw her.

Lia greeted them formally and kissed the back of the Prince’s hand. “It’s been a while, Your Majesty, the Prince. Have you been well?”

“It was hell of an incarceration. Father has a lot to worry about. He’s still in the room fearing an assassination attempt.  Thanks to that, I was locked up. Ha—”