009| the second brother

❂❂❂

WHEN STEVE SHOWED UP THE NEXT DAY to pick Briar up for school, Briar was asleep. She slept through two alarms and guessed she may have mild concussion which was why her head ached when she woke up. Her fringe covered the injury which was nice.

In the morning she'd felt better than usual. Her biggest worry was her brother. Of course she'd known for a while something was wrong. Life was so messed with complex patterns. Problems stretched like pieces of thread attached to the others and Briar felt she was holding a chaotic pile of yarn. She had been tied with Oliver's depression, Clover's possible alcoholism, Steve's desperation to change, Robin's need to be necessary, Billy's abusive behaviour and of course her own self realisation.

That morning she'd decided she needed to change. She wanted to be there for the people that had been there for her. Her brother, Clover, Robin and despite everything Steve. There'd been a moth on her window and she'd opened it to free the small creature from her room. She'd dressed in neutral colours and brushed her hair to sit right around her face.

She was excited to see Steve, to talk to him. Briar felt she might even tell him everything that had happened to her because that morning she believed it was over. Briar had made herself toast and sang take a chance on me while she did so. She'd just sat down to eat it when Oliver walked into the room looking like shit again. She didn't comment on it, she never would again.

"Steve came to pick you up" Oliver spoke casually.

"What?" Briar asked through a mouthful of food, "where is he?"

"I don't know" Oliver shrugged, "on his way to school probably...or at home, it's a bit too early"

"Why?" Briar asked incredulously.

"Because I told him to piss off" Oliver shrugged, "why do you think? I haven't forgotten what he said to you and how upset you were Briar. Now he thinks what? That he can just worm his way back into your life because he knows how forgiving you are? Briar you might be foolish but I'm not"

"I forgave him Ollie"

"I guessed you might've done" Oliver muttered.

"You had no right to do that!" Briar yelled, "he's my friend Oliver and he made a mistake"

"Boohoo" Oliver shrugged, he was messing around making coffee and Briar's eyes were wide with wild shock and anger.

"Are you fucking serious?" Briar asked, "Oliver, people make mistakes. Some people own up to them and others just—"

"Others what Bri?" He sounded tired, "lie in their bedroom all day?"

"Yeah pretty much" Briar stated, "Oliver I'm sorry for what you're going through and I will do anything I can to help you but my life is not yours to mess with. It's not your choice whether I forgive Steve or not. I need him"

"That's the problem" Oliver yawned, "Steve doesn't need you"

"I think he does" Briar spoke simply, "I'm going to call him and ask him to come round"

"Fine Briar" Oliver snapped, "but when he upsets you yet again, don't come crying to me"

"I wouldn't want to" Briar retorted, "because...because"