014| monster hunting

❂❂❂

BRIAR'S BACK HIT THE FLOOR AS SHE BECAME ENGULFED in fog that watered her eyes and ruined her vision. The growl was inhuman but she'd known this was nothing a world like hers could possess. It was on her, face open to some horrible gaping abyss. She finally screamed, terror taking over like she didn't know it could.

But then the creature fell to the side, rolled over in the mist and whimpered in pain. Steve stood over her, bat clutched in his hands as he raised it over his head. She jumped as the animal leapt at him again. Steve swung the bat through the air and sent it directly into the side of its neck. Another whimper, claws skating over sticks.

"Come on!" Steve yelled, spinning the bat round in his hands again as he threw it over his shoulder and sent it with a horrible squelch into the skin again.

He was slowly trying to push it away from Briar, shifting his feet around the stones every time he smacked the nails in an attempt to rip flesh and cause some sense of victory. Briar scrambled to her feet, legs shaking so much she was unsure she could walk. Her heart was a hurricane and her mind was still latched onto the essence of death.

"The bus!" Steve shouted at her, "get in the bus"

Briar didn't need telling twice, she tripped over a rock and started running towards the large faded school bus. But as she did, a shadow came from beside it. She turned in surprise to see another one of the grotesque creatures crawling towards her, stretching its deformed head up to stare at her. She turned quickly to see Steve fighting back the other. There was more than one.

She could see kids in the window of the bus now, three of them. They were yelling at her to get inside but they couldn't see it, under the window with its perfect poise and its desire to kill. Briar pointed at it with a shaking hand and the kid with the curly hair seemed to realise first.

"Steve!" Briar yelled as she started backing away very slowly, back into the midst of fog.

"Shit!" Steve shouted. He held the bat out in front of him as the creature he'd been hitting tried to pull itself back to its feet. Slowly Steve backed towards her, still threatening with his eyes. He found her, his back against hers for a moment before he turned and pushed her behind him.

"Briar what the hell are you doing here?" He asked, his voice shaking.

"I don't think you're the one who should be asking questions" Briar whispered, "but I was trying to find you... you didn't show up and I was worried"

"Oh shit" Steve muttered, "two o'clock"

He'd forgotten but Briar didn't really blame him. He was surrounded by creatures with no faces, slimed skin and horrible claws and suddenly watching a movie with a friend probably wasn't priority anymore. He kept his arm out in front of her like a barricade. Heavy breathing as they stood and stared at the two animals that were slowly making advances on them.

"Behind you!" One of the kids yelled suddenly from the bus.

Briar's heart sank to the floor when she looked over her shoulder to see two more of them. One of the pale and isolated creatures was coming over the top of a car, growling softly like a wolf. The other was mainly covered in the soft rolling of fog but it was the picture of decay and the way Briar felt she was going to lose her life.

"What do we do?" Briar asked softly as Steve kept his hand tight on the bat that he held out in front of him. She was close to his side and that was probably why she hadn't broken down yet. Her heart was still pattering terribly, her eyes hurt with the desire to cry but she held to his arm and it grounded her.