020| snowball

❂❂❂

"THERE, YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL" Briar smiled as she finished pinning the small plait around Max's hair, the rest of her auburn locks falling down her back in waves. Max stared at herself in Briar's bedroom mirror, more casually dressed in a jumper and dark pink pants. But the girl did look sweet with a small amount of blush on her cheeks and a tiny bit of gloss on her lips.

"I don't know" Max folded her arms, "dances and stupid"

"But they make good memories" Briar squeezed her shoulders, "and I'll be there"

"You're serving punch it's different" Max scoffed as she turned to Briar. She was dressed in a pale yellow dress that fell just below her knees. It was very simple, made of a chiffon that clutched to her frame and fell around her neck with small straps. Her hair was pinned back, showing off her back as small golden earrings hung from her ears to match the necklace on her chest.

"Yeah but if you get bored you can come and talk to me" Briar shrugged.

"Okay whatever" Max rolled her eyes.

"I think you're secretly excited" Briar smiled as she sat on the small chair in the corner and pulled her small golden heels from the bottom of her wardrobe, strapping them around her feet.

"Why would I be excited?" Max frowned.

"Because Lucas is going" Briar looked at her knowingly.

"That stalker?" Max scoffed, "as if"

"If you say so" Briar got to her feet, "but I think he really likes you"

"No he doesn't" Max shook her head, blushing ever so slightly.

"You ready to go?" Briar asked with a smile as she grabbed her bag and threw it over her shoulder.

"Why do you think he likes me?" Max spoke quickly.

"Just the way he looks at you" Briar replied, "maybe dance with him... if you feel like it"

"I... I dunno" Max shrugged, "can we go now?"

"Course we can" Briar smiled as she opened the door and paced down the long traces of steps down into the kitchen. Susanna was back to baking banana bread, singing along to ABBA.

"We're going" Briar called

"You have to let me take a photo" Susanna grabbed her camera, "and then we can get a copy for Max's mom too"

"Oh you don't have to" Max seemed horrified by the camera.

"It's alright" Briar put her arm around the girl, "I'll take it with you... just smile, you look great"

Max smiled at this before they turned and grinned at Susanna and let her snap a photo with a happy expression on her face,

"Have a great time!" She called as they hurried out the door and towards Briar's large orange van. They listened to a mixture of ABBA and Kate Bush on the way before they pulled up in the car park of Hawkins high school and jumped out. The two girls paced over the parking lot and into the double doors at the front to see the decorations of the snow ball. It was certainly an improvement of previous years dances. Blue and silver balloons stretched over the walls, rounded tables were set up with table cloths and there was a large sign at the back saying 'Snowball'.