Chapter 1: Hayley

"So are you guys excited for these next two days?" my boyfriend, Kyle, asks me and our friends, Courtney and Will.

I nod as Kyle slips his arm around my shoulders. We're all sitting in my apartment that I just moved into with Kyle. "What are we even gonna do with each other?" Courtney asks.

"Act like couples. Hold hands, probably not kissing. I don't think it's a good idea," I tell her.

Yesterday, we came up with a plan to switch partners. Courtney gets Kyle and I get Will. It's only for 48 hours, but I'm already feeling a little protective of Kyle. Not that I don't trust Courtney, but I'm just worried something is going to go wrong. I mean, I suppose things could go wrong on my end as well, but I really do like Kyle. I'm not willing to give up our relationship of two years for one of my best friends.

Hopefully, Courtney and Kyle feel the same way. Just as that thought crosses my mind, Kyle leans over and kisses me on the cheek. All thoughts of him possibly giving our relationship up melt away. "So no kissing. Just holding hands and couple-y things?" Will asks.

"Right," Kyle, Courtney, and I all say in unison.

"Should we go on a double date of some sort?" Kyle asks.

"That should be fun," Courtney pipes up.

I nod in agreement before leaning my head on Kyle's shoulder. The conversation about the next two days goes on for a while, but I'm barely listening. It's mostly mindless chatter. After a while, Courtney and Will leave to go to their own apartments, which–conveniently–are on the floor below us. Even though they live across the hall from each other, they haven't moved in together. It has only been six months since they got together, though.

Kyle shakes me, thinking I'm asleep. "Hayley?" he says quietly.

I look at him and smile, "I wasn't sleeping."

"Oh, I thought you were."

I shake my head and sit up. Kyle removes his arm from around me and stands up. "Where are you going?" I ask.

"To sleep," he says before walking off down the hall.

Pushing up on my hands, I get up and follow him. "I guess I'll go to sleep too."

He enters our bedroom and I head to the bathroom to wash up. I brush my teeth and wash my face before heading to our bedroom. Kyle is already lying in bed, focused on his phone. I change into a t-shirt and shorts. "You're gross," I comment as I lie down next to him.

He looks over at me, "How?"

"You didn't even brush your teeth," I say, scrunching up my face.

He grunts before getting up and heading to the bathroom. I roll my eyes, he's acting slightly odd. Then again, he's always been on the weirder side. You wouldn't know by looking at him, he looks like your normal good-looking guy. With a sigh, I roll onto my side, facing away from the door.

Kyle comes back in and lies back down, facing me. He smiles and leans in to kiss my forehead. I smile back at him before closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep.