Valentine's Value

Today was Valentine's Day, and love was blooming all over the vast variety of zones on Mobius. However, one particular echidna, who moved the master emerald's position to be with his friends, hated Valentine's Day. It wasn't the fact that it celebrated love, or giving chocolates, or even spending time with friends and family. It was the fact that he didn't have anyone to call family to spend the day with, specifically a girlfriend, not that he cared. Knuckles always contradicts himself, and Valentine's is no exception. Despite wanting a girlfriend for a while now, he either doesn't talk to girls, or rejects them, saying how he has more important duties to attend to. One girl though, keeps coming back to Knuckles, and because of it, they've made an acquaintance, and eventually friends.

"Hey Knuckles!" Rouge called from the sky, landing a decent walk's distance from Knuckles and his gem.

"Hey Rouge." He answered back plainly.

"Do you know what today is~?" She teased, stepping closer to the echidna, now at the bottom of the steps to the emerald.

"No." Knuckles snapped, attempting to act unfazed by the holiday.

"Aw, c'mon! Take a wild guess~" Rouge pleaded.

Knuckles sighed in defeat. Only Sonic knows how painful this holiday is for Knuckles, but that's the contradiction's fault. Doesn't talk to Rouge about stuff like that.

"Valentine's Day..." Knuckles huffed, taking a seat at the top step of the staircase.

Rouge hates seeing her friends sad or upset, and it hurts her more that she doesn't know why Knuckles is always sad during Valentine's Day. If only she knew, so she can help him.

"Why so sad again, hm?" Rouge asked, walking up the steps.

"No thanks." He mumbled. Rouge hates it when he was vague.

"Why can't you tell me?" She asked, sitting beside the echidna.

"Because I don't want to." He whispered.

"Excuse me?" Rouge didn't hear him.

"Because I don't know how to fix my problem!" Knuckles snapped, storming away.

Rouge was left confused, sitting in front of the emerald. She could steal it, but she was more in figuring out why Knuckles gets "sensitive" around her favorite holiday. Luckily, she had friends who could know about Knuckles.