Perfect Plan

Knuckles pondered over his reaction over Rouge the few days that passed. Something didn't sit right with him. Something about that felt, wrong. Was it his tone? His words? Him?

Knuckles was at the chili dog stand, waiting for Sonic. He already ordered in advance, so it could be ready for the duo when Sonic arrived. However, Knuckles suddenly had an epiphany while waiting for his blue companion. He somehow instantly realized why Rouge kept returning. Why she kept bothering him. Why she asked so many questions. Why she was concerned on Valentine's Day...

Knuckles decided it was time to move on. He had grieved of his entire tribe's death far too long. It slowed him down, but no more! Knuckles knew what he had to do, and nothing could stop him-

"Heya Knucks!" Sonic greeted, zooming in front of the echidna. "Wow, a preorder? Gosh, I'm gonna have to take you out sometime, huh?"

"Sonic, I'm gonna go actually. Enjoy my dogs too." Knuckles said plainly, walking off.

"Two orders?! Gee, I may need to take him on a date sometime..." Sonic joked from afar. Truth be told, Knuckles didn't actually know what to do until Sonic said that. Now he knew exactly what to do to make up for his actions to Rouge: Redo Valentine's Day. So he got to work, gathering everything he needed to make this as special as it can be for Rouge the Bat.

• • •

"Hey Shadow." Rouge greeted, letting herself into the hedgehog's domain.

Shadow grunted. "What do you want?"

"Could you do me a favor and pretend to go out with me?" Rouge asked.

"And why would I do that?" Shadow questioned.

"It's part of a plan I have to restart something with someone. Almost perfect, you could say." The bat answered.

"Fine, but only if I get something in return." Shadow demanded.

"You can have that gem from the Labyrinth Caves." Rouge offered.

"Deal."

Rouge had a feeling this was going to go just as planned.