Chapter 52 ~ "I Killed Dracula"

While walking alone in England with his hands in his coat pockets, Iérti noticed a woman talking while holding a rectangular shaped device near her ear. His face turned into a puzzled frown when he couldn't see the person she was talking to, yet she was clearly talking to someone. He cautiously approached her, listening as she conversed with the person on the strange device he had never seen before.

"Excuse me, my lady," said Iérti, waiting until a break in conversation before speaking up. "What is that device in your hand called?"

"A phone," said the woman, giving him a weird look. She tried to resume her conversation, but Iérti persisted in saying, "I'm sorry, what's a phone? Is it something you use to talk with people? Where is the person you are speaking to?"

"Yes, this is a phone," the woman elucidated, clearly thinking he was crazy. "Are you high or on drugs or something?"

"What? No," said Iérti. "It's just I've never seen anything like this. Where do you suppose I can get a phone?"

The woman gestured towards a red phone booth on the sidewalk. "You can call someone over there."

"No, I need exactly what you have: a phone. Where can I get one of those?" Iérti asked.

Fifteen minutes later, Iérti got Mallen to go with him to an electronics store to check out cell phones. They looked over various ones, trying to figure out the difference between different kinds of phones. Iérti wanted the same kind the woman had, which was an iPhone, so they selected two iPhones.

The phones were in boxes with security devices on them to prevent theft. Mallen couldn't figure out how to get the boxes out of the locked glass case where they were being kept underneath the displays, so he drew his sword and slashed through the glass case, seizing the phones they wanted and running off with the boxes as the security alarms started going off.

Mallen and Iérti ran out of the store as people gasped and called out, stunned to see a hot attractive guy brandishing an alien sword in an electronics store, with another hot accomplice. The store manager and employees tried to figure out where the thieves went, but they couldn't find them anywhere.

Mallen and Iérti retreated to their ship. They sat on the floor of Iérti's room and opened the boxes, taking the phones out of them and tossing the boxes away. They kept the paper instructions and read through them, learning how to use a phone.

When they found out they needed phone service to use their phones, they went to a store and compelled the employee to give them the phone service, using their fake credit cards for initial charges. After they made sure their phones were activated and able to be used now, and after adding each other's' phone numbers in their contacts list, Mallen and Iérti called each other to make sure everything worked.

"This is amazing!" Iérti exclaimed, practically bouncing off the walls with excitement. "We can talk to each other anywhere in the world! You could be in Ireland and I would still be able to talk to you here in England!"

"I still don't understand how it's possible," said Mallen. "It's like magic, but technological. Are we sure this isn't Magarran tech?"

"Let's explore all the different features phones have," said Iérti, going through the various preinstalled apps on his phone. He hit 'camera' and was surprised to see his own face appear on the screen. "Mallen, look! They have a built-in mirror! I wonder what this circle button does." He pressed on it, his eyes widening when he saw his first selfie saved on his phone. "Mallen, you're not going to believe this. The mirror paints a picture of you in mere seconds and saves it, exactly as you appear. No watercolors, ink, or anything. It's....magic."