Isobel

I tried

I tried really fucking hard.

But somehow Caroline always finds a way to convince pretty much everyone to do what she wants. And that's how I ended up at school, helping build the Miss Mystic Float

I'm kind of third wheeling Stefan and Elena as we walk up to Ric in the crowded cafeteria.

"Hey, Mr. Saltzman." Elena greets.

"Hey, we need to talk." Hello to you too, Saltzman.
•••
Ric got ambushed last night, pretty much refusing to give us many details until Damon walked in.

"Damon, thanks for coming." That's a better greeting than we got.

"Sorry, I'm late. My dog ate my, uh..." he starts his joke before giving up. "Never mind. What's with all the furrowed brows?"

"I saw Isobel last night." Alaric says simply.

"Isobel's here?" Damon asks, only getting a nod as a response. "In town?" No, in fucking Antartica. "Did you ask her about Uncle John? Are they working together?"

"No." Ric answers.

"No, they're not?" Damon asks, needing clarification.

"No, I didn't ask." Ric replies quickly.

"What about the invention?" I chime in.

"Didn't ask."

"Did she know about the tomb vampires?" Damon asks.

"I don't know."

"Did words completely escape you?" I snap, getting kind of frustrated with his lack of knowledge.

"No, I was a little too distracted by my dead vampire wife to ask any questions." Alaric claps back. Understandable but still.

"What did she want?" Damon asks. The one quedaría has already answered.

"She wants to see me, Damon." Elena answers.

"Alaric is supposed to arrange a meeting. We don't know why or what she wants." Stefan adds.

"You don't have to see her if you don't want to." Damon says. Stefan and I are both thrown off by his sudden change in attitude.

"I don't really have a choice." Elena responds.

"She's threatened to go on a killing spree." Alaric adds, his voice lower than before.

"Oh." Damon's voice couldn't be more sarcastic. "I take it that's not okay with you guys." Because we're in school, I'm being nice, and not sprinting over for the sheer purpose of smacking some sort of sense into him

"I want to do it. I want to meet her." Elena chimes in. "If I don't, I know I'll regret it."
•••
We came up with a plan, for now Elena will sit alone in the Grill, waiting for Isobel to make an appearance, while Stefan sits off in case anything goes wrong.

Damon's not exactly happy with our spot waiting outside.

"We should be in there." He complains.

"No. Isobel made it clear we're not to step foot inside." Alaric scolds, not even looking at the Grill.

"I'm not gonna kill her in a crowded restaurant." Damon responds.

"You're not gonna kill her, period." Why not?

"She ruined your life and you still want to protect her?" I ask, genuinely confused.

"She's my wife." Alaric defends, getting a look from both Damon and I. "Was. Was my wife. I looked for the woman I married, but she wasn't there. Whoever that is is cold and detached."