The Grey Ninja

Mystake sat in her rocking chair as she watched (y/n) balance on a singular wooden pole no thicker or taller than a broom stick. The pole barely swayed nor the did the young girl, she was barely 10 years old and didn't look fatigued from the exercise that would leave many shaking. Mystake stood up and circled the girl.  Mystake could barely see (y/n)'s grey shirt move from breathing, it was like she was asleep. Mystake looked at her black pants, if her legs were tiring, the shivering of her pant legs would be the first tell but she saw no such sign. "Breathe," she instructed and she heard (y/n) take a deep breath and exhale. Mystake walked to a bench where a few wooden throwing knives waited for her, she picked one up and threw it at the child. 

(y/n) opened a single eye and remained perfectly still as the blade sailed past her nose. Mystake grinned as she picked up the entire row of knives that rested on the benched and threw them at (y/n). The young girl's eyes flew open as she flipped from the staff and in mid-air she kicked in an arch to generate a gust the blew the knives to the ground. She landed perfectly. Mystake gave a small smile and was met with a ginormous grin as (y/n) bounced over to her and tugged her coat. "That was my best time yet, two and a half hours," (y/n) celebrated. Mystake patted her head.

"You're getting stronger every day," she said with a hint of sadness. As (y/n)'s power grew she knew that she would become determined to find out the full extent of her power, even as far as lust for more. It was dangerous. She knew that she would not be able to train her to the fullest. (y/n)'s future laid in the hands of another teacher. "Why don't you make me some tea?" she asked and (y/n) nodded rapidly as she skipped into the kitchen at the back of the tea shop. Mystake resumed her position in her rocking chair. She watched as (y/n) patiently steeped the tea. 

Mystake looked upon (y/n) with sad eyes, it would be time to say goodbye soon and she didn't know if she was ready. Her time in Ninjago was peaceful and lonely, (y/n) added joy to her quiet years and she took great pride in the sheer strength and control of wind. An element that was untameable and unpredictable, much like it's Master. Mystake reached to her coffee table draw and removed a pen and paper. 

Dear Wu,

My time with little (y/n) has ended, I have taught her what I can and have raised her to the best of my abilities. She is an excellent student and strives to excel but if that drive is left unchecked, I fear what it can do. I believe it is time for her to learn the ways of Spinjitzu.
~Mystake

She wrote. (y/n) then came with a tray of tea and biscuits, she set it down on the table beside Mystake who rested her head in her hand, "thank you dear," she smiled as (y/n) sat across from her with a contempt smile. The words were heavy in Mystake's throat, but she knew they needed to be said. "(y/n)."

"Hmmm." The young girl replied as she stirred her tea. 

"These past few years with you were some of the best but I have nothing left to teach you," Mystake spoke softly as she reached out and held (y/n)'s hand. She watched as (y/n)'s face turned from happy, to stunned, to confused. Her bows furrowed and Mystake could hear the wind outside pick up.

"What do you mean? I'm staying with you. Right?" (y/n) asked harshly. To her it sounded like Mystake was saying goodbye and she didn't want to say goodbye. She was happy. To her everyday was an adventure where she tested the waters of her power and always looked for the sparkling pride in Mystake's eyes as she improved

"I can no longer teach you my dear, you have learned everything I have to offer, it is time you take your training to the next level," she responded as she watched tears fill (y/n)'s eyes. It made her heart sink, she hated watching (y/n) cry, her sad eyes would soften the hardest of hearts.