Chapter 5: Orphans

"Won, can we pay all of these?" Penelope gently asked as we fell in line together with the cart full of groceries. 

"I can pay for it." I bravely said, although I'm not entirely sure how will I survive the remaining months of the school year knowing that I have projects and other expenses. 

I looked at the groceries that we got and I smiled bitterly at the idea of growing too fast. While my classmates live a very care-free and happy life- here I am buying groceries.

I decided to buy 5 whole chickens, a few kilos of meat - pork and beef, vegetables and other ingredients that we might need for cooking. I don't know what is really happening in the orphanage but whatever the situation is, I will still stay with them and do everything to keep my family safe. 

I waited in line and when it's finally our turn, we put all the items in the counter one by one. The cashier punched it one after another and it's like I'm waiting for the final verdict of something big. I bit my lip as the bill went higher and higher. 

Penelope looks worried but I would much rather spend my money than to see the kids suffer in hunger. 

"Sir, the total is $540." the cashier smiled and I just took a deep breath before giving my debit card. That's it, I guess? I'll just find a way to earn money so I can at least buy a sandwich everyday to survive. 

I paid for everything and smiled at Penelope for her not to worry about anything. Yes, I am not the eldest kid in the orphanage but most of our big brothers and sisters are now out of the orphanage since they're of legal age. If only I'm of legal age then I wouldn't struggle this much. 

We took a bus on the way home and for the whole trip, I was quiet; thinking about the possibilities of what could happen in the following days, weeks or even months now that Miss Elle and her family stopped their support to the orphanage. 

The large metal gate of the orphanage welcomed us and at the door, I saw Miss Faith with a very unpleasant expression on her face. Her eyebrow rose when she saw the plastic bags with us. I never saw her this agitated and irritable and it's like she's a totally different person compared to how she acts and care for all of us when my adoption is still not being brought to light. 

"Where have you been?" that's the first question she asked Penelope and the girl beside me started to feel uneasy. I managed to solve her hunger but the fear she has for Miss Faith is something that's very foreign to me. 

"Miss Faith, Penelope went to me to ask for food. She told me there are no more groceries available in the kitchen?" I inquired. 

"That's right and whose fault is that?" she asked, arrogance and sarcasm was evident in her voice. 

I decided to extend my patience since we've been having bad conversations for the past week and I'm starting to get tired of it. 

"Miss Faith, it's not like I wanted this issue to go this far. Besides, isn't it too much of them to cut their donations just because I didn't want to agree with the adoption?"

"And what does a kid like you know about the whole process of adoption and financing this old orphanage?"

"Miss Faith, that's why I'm asking because I was never aware that my brothers are starving-"

"Oh please, Jungwon! Stop with the brothers and sisters thing because you are all just an orphan here and the organization together with the donors and sponsors are just very kind enough to take you in! Maybe next time, consider it as a favor and a blessing when someone wants to adopt you! We're not responsible for kids that are unwanted!"

That's where I lost it. My grip on the plastic bags loosened as I marched towards the woman in front of me. I managed to meet her- eye to eye as I tried to control myself from throwing a punch.