Chapter Fifteen

I wake up in a cold sweat, gasping for breath a phantom pains shoot across my body. Even though I know I'm not there anymore, I still panic, thinking that I've slept in too late and won't get my chore done on time. It doesn't matter that the little voice in the back of my head tells me not to worry about it, that it's not the same here. I roll out of bed and go into autopilot, pulling my wavy hair up into a messy ponytail and getting dressed for the day as hurriedly as I can.

Not even five minutes later, I'm out the door, racing down the stairs to get started on breakfast. My surroundings pass by in a blur, I'm too focused on making breakfast for the steps to even realize I'm in a different house. A different state for that matter. 

When I reach the kitchen, I pull out a pan frantically and whip up a batch of french toast. It's quick and easy so I might have a chance if I hurry. Dusting the tops with cinnamon and ginger, my specialty, I grab some plates and turn just in time to see someone turning the corner. 

"I'm so sorry sir, I know it's late. I'll have the rest out in just a few minutes." I apologize rapidly before looking up to see Elijah staring at me with a strange look in his eyes.

"Sir?" He asks, "Where did that come from?" 

I can feel the haze of my dream finally wearing off with each word he says. Brothers. California. I'm safe here. I stagger into the counter behind me as it all comes rushing back. 

"I'm sorry Elijah, I uh... I just had a nightmare and kinda forgot where I was." I reply quietly.

When he doesn't answer right away, I look up hesitantly to see his reaction. After what happened in the library, I can't help being cautious. Although, they were probably just as freaked out as I was about this whole new situation. I mean, they found out they had a sister the same day I showed up to live with them. But Enzo is trying now so maybe...

"I- shit," His pained voice is enough for me to know that he's really trying. And he did already apologize earlier... 

"I don't know what to say, tesoro. I know that I hurt you, and I want to know how to make it up to you. I want you to be able to trust me." He says urgently. "It goes against every bone in m body to know that you're hurt and I can't help you. It's what I do. I just-" His voice breaks and he runs a hand through his hair, messing up the styled perfection. 

"I don't like to hold grudges." I whisper. 

His eyes shoot up to meet my gaze in what looks an awful lot like hope.

"You've already apologized, I'm not going to hold what you said against you. There are just some things that I'm not ready for. It was hard as hell to let Enzo and Roman bandage me last night and I had all sorts of flashbacks because of it. I don't accept help. I can't accept help." I add on, trailing off at the end. 

"I understand that. Believe it or not, but I am a doctor. I have dealt with similar situations before. I know how challenging it can be to build trust again after going through an ordeal as you did. I still don't know any of the specifics, but I hope someday I'll be able to earn your trust enough for you to tell me." 

I smile softly. "I think I'd like that."

He grins back at me, his smile almost reaching his ears. "Thank you, sorella. You truly are incredible."

****************

"Is that food I smell??" Dante cries, practically bounding to the kitchen in delight. 

I laugh softly at the childlike expression on his face before flipping the last piece of french toast. I swear, those boys eat more than an army.