Chapter Eighteen

Collapsing on my bed has never felt so good in my life. After the whole mall debacle, I feel like I've gained five shadows. Except, shadows are usually quiet. And they don't try to argue with you... so no, I take it back, my brothers have just gained official overprotective status.

I know I should have eaten something before going to bed, but the thought of food is making my stomach tie itself in knots. I'll eat in the morning. I just want to sleep now. I think, forcing my foot to stop twitching.

Not even five seconds later, my fingers are tapping out a beat on the pillow. Clenching my fists and forcing my hands under my thighs doesn't help much because now my legs are back to bouncing.

Groaning in frustration, I roll onto my side, willing myself to stay still but the instant I close my eyes, Ted appears. Bolting upright, I scoot back, leaning my body against the headrest. I knew this would happen. I fucking knew that talking about that prick would bring back memories.

It's fine, just think about something else... School! I start school in a couple of days. I wonder what it'll be like here. My brothers are all old enough that I won't be going with any of them, so at least there's that. I mean, I love them, but I also know them. I don't think a single person in that school would talk to me if I walked in with any of those boys.

I sigh again, staring up at the ceiling. Everything is different now. I can't believe I'm even thinking about this. Just a week ago, I was preparing for my escape and now I'm here. Doing whatever this is.

Closing my eyes one more, I think of my brothers, all that they've done for me. And all that they're not telling me. It's obvious that there's more to them than meets the eye. I mean, come on, who has access to a swat team and helicopters? They live in a mansion and have several more around the world, their security systems are impeccable, and I haven't received a straight answer from any of them about what they do for work. I just know that they all work together at the "family business".

Maybe they're spies? No. I can't see Dante or Enzo being able to keep government secrets. Military? No. They don't do well with orders. Maybe it's something illegal? No. They wouldn't do something that stupid. Would they?

Pushing the thoughts of my brother's potential jobs aside, I try to get my focus back on sleep. I've been up too much lately with all my nightmares and I'm starting to feel it. I just need a solid four hours of uninterrupted sleep. I'd be okay if I could just get that much.

Pulling the blankets up close, I revel in their warmth, sinking into the softness as my muscles start to let go of the tension they've been carrying all day. This is so much better than that raggedy old blanket on the floor.

But, as if my mind is trying to ruin my life, the second I feel sleep's loving caress start to pull me under, Ted resurfaces. Even after I open my eyes and scramble out of the bed, it's like he's in the room with me. I can feel his slimy hands on my body, his cruel knife stabbing me.

"Get out of my head!" I whisper, clutching my hands to my temples as if that simple action could erase him from my memory. As if it could change how helpless and weak I am. Pacing the room does little to distract myself from my thoughts, so I leave. I don't know where I'm going, but anywhere is better than alone in a room, trapped with my demons.

"Ember?" Roman calls sleepily.

Looking up, I realize that my feet have brought me to Roman's door, where I've stood like an idiot for the past few minutes.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." I reply hastily, turning to go... somewhere else.

"No, you're fine. Um, what happened? Why aren't you asleep?" He questions, his voice gravelly from sleep.