Common Wattpad Mistakes

1. Confidence!! Be proud of your work! Even if it's not as good as your favorite author's best story, it's yours! You should be proud of yourself for writing it and having the confidence to post it!

Prefacing your chapters with, "Haha it's so bad, I hate it, but enjoy the chapter I guess?" sets the tone for the whole section. If you tell the reader that your work is bad, they will be looking for bad writing.

2. Tropes. Not that following a popular trope is inherently bad (they're common for a reason,) but it's important to include your unique voice in your writing. I would recommend only writing about a specific trope (ie. nerd and popular boy enemies to lovers, or the girl who thought she had no magic is secretly the most powerful one of all) when you have something new to add to it.

3. Unique formats. Maybe you've decided to use no capital letters, or maybe your entire story is told through emails sent between the main characters. Either way, remember that a piece you spent hours on might only take 10 minutes to read.

Over time you get used to seeing your writing in a particular format, but to readers, it's brand new. The most important part of your work will always be the story itself. Cute styles and tropes can be fun, but only if they add to your story and don't make it unreadable. (A 50-chapter story with only 100 words per chapter won't feel immersive or cohesive.)

Have fun and good luck! <3 Blu