Chapter 18: Margaret Loftus

As classes ended Miss Stacy decided to pour on us the fact that we have a test at the end of the week on all the work we have learned so far about the Queens Entrance Exams. I couldn't help but pick at my cuticles hearing that name again. At least I had a strong suite being science and math. Miss Stacy told any remaining students that the Avonlea Press meeting would be starting soon. She usually gave us a break between class and writing, in her words to allow the gears to flow so we could come up with amazing story ideas.

    "Now–," Miss Stacy starts, clasping her hands together.

"The topics we have for this week are:
    -the barn dance
    -Anne's baby horse
    -the crops in Avonlea doing better than before
    -and the upcoming fair that is at the end of the month"

    "I'll take the upcoming fair," Ruby interrupts.

        "Great," Miss Stacy writes Ruby's name next to the topic on the board.

"I'll do the one about Anne's horse," Diana exclaims, raising her hand.

    I notice Moody nodding his head at Grace, before Grace playfully rolls her eyes at him.

Grace reluctantly raises her hand.

    "Yes Grace," Miss Stacy calls.

"I'll do the barn dance," Grace responds.

    "And I'll help her," Moody raises his hand, wrapping an arm around Grace, pulling her closer to him.

"Great!," Miss Stacy exclaims.

    "We still have one last one."

    "I'll take it," I responded.

        "Alright then who would like to help Margaret, Ruby, and Diana?," Miss Stacy asks.

    "I'll help Diana," Anne responds.

        "I'll help Margaret," Gilbert adds.

    "I'll help Ruby," Charlie says.

    "Alright, it settles it. Those are our groups for the week, everyone else, you will have your opportunities," Miss Stacy says dismissing us.

    "So I was thinking we could start with gathering information about our farms and then branch off to other peoples, that way we have a solid base," Gilbert explains.

    "Whatever you say cutie," I responded. I see Gilbert's face flush. "Stop it angel," Gilbert teased.

"What can I say my lover is the cutest," I dragged out pointing at Gilbert, causing him to look down embarrassed.

    Gilbert eventually stopped blushing and accepted that I would be getting my revenge for all the times he made me blush and embarrassed.

    After Miss Stacy broke us into groups, Gilbert and I decided to head home. That way we were able to have some visual aid to help our writing.

    "Moody really likes Grace," Gilbert declared, walking into me playfully.

    "He really does, you could just tell. He really cares about her and I think they would be perfect together," I smile, taking Gilbert's hand into mine.

        "Maybe I should nudge him in the right direction," Gilbert asks.

    "Gil no, they need to discover it for themselves, it's really not that hard," I say.

    "Well it is, you really gave me mixed signals before I declared my undying love for you," Gilbert muttered under his breath.

        "What was that?," I ask.

    "Oh nothing," Gilbert perked up his head before giving my hand a light squeeze.

"Okkaayyy then," I said dramatically as I ruffled Gilbert's hair.

    "Hey, would you quit it," Gilbert says with a stern expression. My heart sank into the pit of my stomach, I looked down doubtfully.

    "Hey I was only kidding," Gilbert declared before kissing me on the cheek. The warmth on my cheek was accompanied by more heat rising to my cheeks, I rolled my eyes as Gilbert sent me a playful smirk.