3 : What a caring guy

Seconds ago, when King told me to tag along with Mai for a ride every day, I even thought of condemning him that he was too selfish. I mean, I'm an adult, how can I just take advantage of a kid who hasn't even got a job. But once I saw his car, I found that I should care about myself first.

"Is this your car?"

"Yes. Please go ahead." He unlocks the car.

I look back and forth between Mai and his black BMW which I don't know the model of. What I do know is that I can never ever afford it in this life or any other.

I'm just so stupid. From his appearance, I should have known this guy came from a rich family. Of course, his monthly allowance is probably higher than my salary. Why was I considerate then?

I sigh and walk to the car, thinking that maybe this is for the best. Now that this guy's surely got enough money for the gas, I can ask him for a ride home without feeling guilty. Near the end of every month, I always feel like it's the end of my life when my money starts running out. So please feel pity for a poor office worker like me, kid. At least as a teaching cost even though I barely have to teach you anything.

"What a nice car."

I say as I get in the car, riding shotgun, and close the door softly and carefully. My payment is quite low, not enough to even get a cheap ass car, so don't talk to me about an expensive car. Also, I have to be careful not to damage this car.

"The door is not completely closed, brother Jade."

Fine, I'll be a little rougher.

I close it again and put the seatbelt on. I sit straight with such a good posture, staring ahead as Mai starts the engine before he drives into the chaotic traffic of Bangkok after the office hours.

"You want to put on music?" he asks.

I nod. Soon the music starts playing softly. After observing a special car with even more special decoration, I can't help asking him some questions.

"Is this your own car?"

"It's my brother's car. He lent it to me."

That stresses me out even more. Jade, you can't touch a single thing here!

"How many siblings do you have?"

"Just two – my brother and I. What about you?"

"Three. I've got one elder brother and one younger sister."

"That must be very nice. I always want a younger sibling. How old are they?"

"Jet is almost thirty. He got married last year. Jan is twenty-five, the Thai's unlucky age. You know how they say people in their mid-twenties always land in bad luck?"

"Yeah, I've heard that. But it's good that the age gap of your siblings isn't too big. My brother and I are ten years apart."

My conversation with Mai lasts long like a long line of traffic in Bangkok. I found that this guy is easy to talk to even though we've just met for a day. He always smiles and knows the topic to talk about. Also, he seems to be interested in every topic I bring up. Well, I'm the chatty type, so I talk non-stop that I feel like after we get down the highway, Mai knows about myself more than my collegues who have been working with me for four years do.

This guy's conversation skill is quite special. I guess he must be good at flirting with girls. I can

"Mai, can you be honest with me? Don't you really have a girlfriend?" I ask as we're stuck at the red light.