Chapter 02. Where You From

After my math class ended, I stood outside in the corridor, waiting for Mingi and Yeonjun

"Hey, Phaedra!" Mingi called.

I turned around and saw it was them.
"Yeonjun, how was class?" I asked.

They both stopped in front of me. Yeonjun smiled at me.

"It was surprising to see an educator who enjoys their job," Yeonjun explained.

"That's Mr. Quinn for you; the man has loved his job. I promised Matthew I would help him with some Philosophy work in the library during free period." Mingi turned to leave.

"Cool, see you later, Mingi. Tell Matthew I said hello." I waved goodbye to him.

Once Mingi disappeared around the corner, I looked at Yeonjun happily.

"Come on, we don't have long for our free period, so follow me," I said, walking.

"So, how long have you and Mingi known each other?" Yeonjun asked.

"Mingi and I are childhood friends; our mothers went to school together and were best friends growing up. So we grew up together."

"Wow, so you two have history class together?"

"You could say that."

"But if you were born in Pasedena, how could you know each other for your whole lives?"

"Well, I was born in Texas; however, I moved out to Pasadena when I was nine, and I met Mingi because we had moved into the same neighborhood as him and his mom."

"What about you? Have you always lived in New York?"

Yeonjun stopped to stare at the massive trophy display case before glancing at me. I felt a smile on my face as I took in his side profile, his dark brown hair falling in front of his face as he stared at all the trophies behind the glass prison. His dark ebony irises glowed a slightly hazel within the amber lighting of the trophy case.

Yeonjun turned to me and smiled at me.

"I grew up in the city of Mechanicville; it's one of the smallest cities in New York. I know it's not as impressive being born in Manhattan, Brooklyn, or even Rochester." He explained, a hint of sadness lacing his voice.

"Listen, I know what it's like starting at a new institution; when Mingi and I moved here to Virginia, it was hard for us to adapt and adjust to a new lifestyle. But you'll get used to everything." I reassured him.

After showing him around, we ended up in front of an empty classroom. The bell rang, signaling the end of the free period.

"Thanks for showing me around Phaedra. We should do this again sometime." Yeonjun suggested.

I laughed while looking at him."Definitely, see you around Yeonjun."

We both went our separate ways.