Chapter 05. One of Those Nights

After an hour or two of being inside the house,  I pushed through the crowd, walking towards the sliding door to the backyard

After an hour or two of being inside the house, I pushed through the crowd, walking towards the sliding door to the backyard. Once I slid it open, I stepped outside, feeling April's cool, crisp air brushing against my cheeks. The music could still be heard, but it slowly drained out the farther I moved away.

I sat down in the grass, looking up at the sky as thousands of stars sprinkled across the endless sky. Virginia was far different from New York, from the quiet suburban landscapes to the beautiful scenery of nature, to even the friendly faces and atmosphere Virigina brings.

"Hey, Yeonjun, there you are."

My thoughts were interrupted by a voice calling me. It was Phaedra; I watched her as she sat beside me in the grass. "I was starting to get a little claustrophobic, so I came outside to get some fresh air," I explained as I stared at the stars.

"Feeling homesick again?" She asked. "It's normal to feel homesick; if you ever need to talk to someone, Mingi and I are always here. I promise," I turned to Phaedra, looking at her sweetly. The soft frill pastel yellow sundress complemented her honey sunkissed skin. Her raven hair fell past her shoulders and was tied back into a high ponytail. Her honey-brown eyes seemed to have a slight soft glow as she looked up at the sky.

"I felt the same way when I moved here from Pasadena a few years ago. But over time, I learned that far better things are ahead than anything we leave behind." Phaedra explained.

"I guess so...then again, Virginia is far different than New York, from the lights, sounds, smell, and even people. Frankly, I'm glad I have met you and Mingi. I didn't have a lot of friends back at my old University; most of them came from Wealthy families." I explained.

"It can be like that sometimes, you know; my mother used to say friendship without trust is like a car without fuel. You can't go anywhere without fuel or have a friendship without trust." Phaedra explained. I nodded, looking at him happily and with a bright smile. I nodded in agreement. I knew that trust was the foundation of any successful friendship, and I was glad I had found such a good friend in Phaedra. We continued talking and laughing as the party raged behind us.

After some time, Phaedra and I decided it was best to call it a night. We said our goodbyes and hugged each other goodbye. I was grateful for our friendship and trust, and I knew our friendship would only grow stronger over time. As I turned to walk back inside, I felt Phaedra grasp my hand. I looked at her.

"One more thing before I forget." She said. "We should keep in touch and hang out sometimes," Phaedra continued, pulling her phone from her white clutch. I smiled and nodded in agreement. We exchanged phone numbers and hugs before parting ways. I turned and walked back inside the house. I shoved past several people and walked out the door to my car.

As soon as I got to my car, I got in, started it, and drove away. Several hours later, I returned to my house, turned off the engine, got out, and walked up the stairs. I unlocked the door opening and stepped inside the house. Boxes were scattered everywhere as I still had more boxes to unpack.