Part 3

I've decided that Luke's brother will be referred to as Jake and his dad either, Luke's dad or Jacob

This was becoming routine now. Get up, walk Peaches, breakfast, see Luke. Today was no different. It had now been increased to visits every week and so things were better in a way. I would see him one week then Jake and Jacob the next then back to me.

"4 months now, Luke." Cassie said. "Yeah, I'm counting down." Luke said. "How are things with your music?" he added. "Good. I wrote another song the other day." she told him. "That's great, Cass. You'll have to play it when I get out." he said. "I will." she said. "Almost half-way now." she added with a sigh. "How's Riley?" Luke asked, changing the subject. "She's good. I went and met her for breakfast one day and spoke. It's not easy but Frankie's mum has welcomed her to the family. She got some of his stuff." Cassie told him. "That's good. At least she's not alone." Luke said.

Luke and Cassie chatted for the rest of their time before Cassie headed home. She hated that bit when an officer would come over and say "Sir, Ma'am, your time is up. Say your goodbyes.". The guy never seemed to have any sympathy for the fact that it was someone's husband, son, brother and uncle or the fact that some of the people here were mum's who'd brought their kid to see their. She understood that it was just his job, it was still a prison and there was only so much that was allowed.

"Goodbye, Commando." Cassie said. "Goodbye, Cassie Salazar. I love you." Luke said. "I love you, too." she told him. She walked out of Pendleton, collecting her handbag, going to her Lexus and driving back to Peaches. It would be another 2 weeks until she saw him again.

Both Cassie and Luke loved their time together. It made their lives feel almost normal. They could talk about anything and laugh and smile without fear that this would be the last time. It felt safe and secure. They didn't have to worry about Luke being killed or hurt again or someone coming for money or health insurance. Luke loved it, seeing either Cassie or Jake and his dad were the highlights of his weeks, except when his dad would lecture him. 

Weeks were Cassie didn't see Luke, she'd make an effort to spend the time with Spencer while Jake and Luke's dad were at Pendleton. It meant that Hailey could get things done or go with Jake if she wanted to. Spencer loved it to, going with 'Aunty Cassie' to get ice-cream or pancakes, play at the beach or create blanket forts. Cassie would look after Spencer for 2 or 3 hours so Jake and Hailey had chance to get things done once they got back from Pendleton.