Part 5

The routine continues. 60 days to go. Cassie walked into Pendleton, showing her ID and going through security. She then made her way into the all too familiar hall, scanning for Luke. Her eyes stopped, locking on him. She slowly made her way over, fearful of his bruises. He'd been if a fight or beat up and knowing Luke, it was a fight.

Cassie sat down, looking at his injuries. His hand was taped up, covering who knows what, he had a black eye 

"No 'hi, commando'?" Luke asked, trying to start conversation and cheer up Cassie who looked like she'd had a rough week. "Don't do that, Luke." Cassie said. Luke diverted his eyes to the floor. His shoes were suddenly the most interesting thing. "What happened?" Cassie asked. Luke shrugged, not moving his eyes. "That's not a f*cking answer, Luke. You honestly are clueless. I lie awake for hours thinking about you and hoping, praying you are safe and now..." Cassie told him. Luke looked up, concerned by her statement.

"Cass..." Luke said, not sure of what to say to comfort his darling wife. "Oh my god, Luke!" Cassie exclaimed. "Some was sh*t talking you and your mum and I couldn't, Cass. The guy does it all the time but he said something about you and your mum and how you shouldn't be in this country. I couldn't take it and snapped. He was being such a f*cking racist!" he explained. Cassie took a deep breath. She was used to it and had been used to it since she was a little kid. It didn't make it right but she could take it. She knew Luke was just trying to protect her but it still didn't settle her mind.

"Luke, please, there is 2 months left, please, don't get in anymore fights." Cassie told him. Both of them looked at floor, Cassie fidgeting with her rings. "How bad is it?" Cassie asked. "Broken knuckle and 2 ribs, stiches on my knuckle and a few other bruises and small cuts." Luke told her. Her head fell into her hands. They'd been through worse together but Cassie didn't care, he was still hurt. 

"You need to stop the f*cking hero complex." Cassie said. "Mhm." Luke said. "No! Luke! Stop with the 'mhm'!" Cassie exclaimed, earning some concerned looks around her. They sat in silence before Cassie made her mind up.

"Goodbye, Commando. See you in 2 weeks. I love you." Cassie said, getting up and leaving. "I love you too, Cassie Salazar." Luke mumbled. Luke watched her leave, her annoyance clear in the way she walked. He wished things weren't left how they were but he didn't know what to say. He understood why she was mad but they wasn't much he could say.