Chapter 16: Hard Work Undone

"Haah... Haaah..."
Taking a small step back, Deuce panted, wiping his forehead on his arm.
"W-Wow... Okay, that actually went a lot better than yesterday," he said, blinking in surprise.

Cater strolled over, pulling his phone out of his pocket. "Mmm, mmm-- very well done!" He agreed, nodding.

Glancing at his phone, he jumped, hissing through his teeth.
"Uh-oh-- looks like it's just about time!"

Strolling to the middle of the garden, he put his phone back in his pocket and cupped his hands to his mouth, raising his voice.

"Okay, all you sexy body doubles-- that's a wrap!" He called. "Work's finished for today!"

"AYE-AYE, SIR!" All the Cater-clones chorused, jumping to attention with grins and winks.

Cater snapped his fingers with a flourish, and there was a burst of light.
All the other Caters vanished, leaving white sparkles drifting gently through the air.

Then the remaining Cater turned to them, clapping his hands and grinning.
"Okay, gang-- let's head on over to the tea garden! I asked Trey to grab the tart for you-- he'll meet us there, 'kay?"

"Sure thing, senpai!" Deuce agreed, tucking his pen back into his breast pocket.

"Ugh-- fuckin' FINALLY," Ace grumbled, stretching his arms. "Well, Cater-senpai? Lead the way!"

"Okay, okay, Ace-chan-- no need to be so impatient!" Cater chided, shaking his head with a cheerful grin.
"Alrighty then, everybody-- follow me! And don't go off chasing any rabbits-- this maze isn't just for show, you know!"

With that, he started strolling off, with Ace and Deuce trailing along at his heels.
Grim still in her arms, Kat jogged a little to catch up to them, and soon enough they emerged into another clearing.

She caught her breath, looking around.
"Wow..."

This clearing was a little smaller than the rose garden, but still spacious-- and full of roses as well.
The bushes weren't trimmed into topiaries, giving them a brambly, whimsical feel.
There were also trees here, rising above the hedge walls.
Tables and chairs were scattered around on the lawn. The only thing the tables had in common were that they were all covered by snowy white tablecloths...
Their sizes, shapes and even heights varied wildly. They ranged from a long banquet table to what Kat was pretty sure was just a barstool with a cloth on it.

The chairs were equally as mismatched, some having arms and some without. Some were upholstered or cushioned, others weren't....
There were even a few chairs missing a leg or two, propped up on stacks of books instead.
And every single surface was covered with stuff.
There were vases and goblets filled with flowers, garlands of red roses and creeping tendrils, mismatched candelabras... Plates and cutlery, and lots and lots of teacups, saucers and teapots.
There were tons of serving dishes, too. Platters, dessert trays, cake stands, and more. They were all piled high with dainties, pastries and finger foods. Decorative signposts adorned the hedges, colorful bunting and strings of paper lanterns were strung from the tree's branches...
All in all, it was a tea garden that a lolita fashion lover could only really dream of.

For some reason, though, there was a flamingo standing by the long table.
At first, Kat thought it was fake...
Like a large, startlingly detailed version of a plastic lawn flamingo.

That was, until it moved.
Craning its long neck around, it sieved its beak through a crystal punch bowl full of cloudy pinkish water.
Lifting its head again, it clacked its beak in a satisfied way, like it was smacking its lips. Then it picked up one of its legs and curled up its neck, burying its face in the feathers on its back and settling in for a nap.