Chapter 20: Rookie Frustration

Crowley nodded, folding his arms and cupping his chin thoughtfully.
"I see," he mused. "So that's the situation, is it?"

He looked around at the group.
"You don't wish to apologize in order to get the collars removed, but, alas, are unable to devise any other solutions... Besides submitting obediently to your Housewarden's mercies, of course?"

"Mmm," Ace grumbled, ruffling his hair again. "Yeah-- pretty much."

"Hmm," Crowley mused again.
"Well-- if you truly find your housewarden so distasteful, you could always apply for a dormitory transfer... However, I'm afraid it isn't quite as easy a task as it sounds."

He looked around again, then continued.

"The Dark Mirror selects the house based on the nature of your very soul-- and a placement based on something so absolute cannot be so easily changed. It would necessitate quite a burdensome array of rituals, ceremonies and other such proceedings... In fact, it may take anywhere from a few weeks to nearly a year!"

"Transferring, huh," Ace muttered, crossing his arms again and leaning against a shelf. "Tch.... I dunno, I think that'd just feel like running away and letting him win, you know?"

Deuce nodded in agreement, chewing the corner of his lip and frowning.

"Hmm," Crowley said one more time. "I see. Well, in that case--"
He spread his hands, giving a perky smile.
"--Perhaps you should simply challenge Rosehearts-kun to a duel over the dormitory's leadership?"

There was a beat of comedic silence.
Then--

"WHAAAAAT?!" Everyone but Kat demanded in unison, their loud cries rattling the iron chandeliers on the ceiling.
She jumped, hands flying to her ears and wincing.

"EXCUSE me!" Crowley hissed sharply, putting his hands on his hips and scowling. "Lower your voices-- please!"

Ace coughed, pounding on his chest with a fist for a few seconds.
"Th--that's because YOU just said something completely insane, Headmaster!" He objected in a hoarse whisper, looking panicked.

"Oh, I assure you-- there is nothing 'insane' or even 'odd' about it," Crowley replied, voice back to a normal speaking volume.
"After all, that's how Rosehearts-kun himself got his position. In fact, our very own Clover-kun can confirm-- he witnessed it himself, after all."

Kat looked around at Trey, raising her eyebrows in a query, and he nodded in confirmation.
"Wow," she said out loud, looking back at Crowley. "So.... A challenge? What does that mean, exactly?"

"And, speaking of-- how ARE the housewardens selected, anyway?" Deuce frowned, touching his chin. "I haven't really thought about it much so far..."

Grim came back over to Kat, jumping back up to her shoulder.
It didn't go quite as smoothly as usual.. He knocked the side of her face with the unwieldy collar, making her hiss and stagger slightly.
"OW," she snapped, rubbing the spot where the metal frame had collided.

"Oops-- sorry," Grim muttered, giving her an apologetic look.
Then he turned his attention back to Crowley.
"Anyway-- Trey DID say somethin' about Riddle ending up in the top spot a week after he got in," he continued, frowning. "So? How'd that work?"

"There are several methods by which housewardens are selected," Crowley said. "One may be endorsed by the previous leader, for example... Or by acquiring the support of an overwhelming majority of your fellow dorm students. However, the simplest and most straightforward way is with a duel."