Chapter 03: The Scientist

a/n: hello hello! i feel like updating as much as possible, so here's chap 3! :-) this scene is so damn specific and i'm sorry if i messed up any dialogue or the likes, everything's based off memory so the struggle is real, hah. again, thank you so much for your kind words and support! i hope you enjoy this chapter. :-)

‹ questions of science, science and progress/could not speak as loud as my heart ›

If Pietro closed his eyes, he could almost pretend he was on a vacation with Wanda in Seoul; that they weren't there so they could help this mechanic lump Ultron get his dream bod. That was one way to put it, he figured, but he didn't dare share it with anybody for fear he might get annihilated. (But by the way Wanda smiled inconspicuously, Pietro thought she might have— quite literally— read his mind already.) 

The only thing that kept running through Pietro's head were Florea's words. That Ultron was not who they thought he was. Then who is he? Pietro repeatedly asked his consciousness as he stood by the entrance of the main science lab, watching Dr. Helen Cho piece together vibranium and the gem from Loki's scepter in to her synthetic tissue technology. 

The woman was in some sort of trance that made her blindly follow Ultron's commands, thus bringing up another question in Pietro's head: if Ultron's intentions were pure, why did he need to manipulate another person to do his bidding?

Wanda shot Pietro a look, something between fear and warning. She was, once again, reading his mind; Pietro figured; and he shrugged it off. Part of Pietro understood her. If he dared to speak aloud his thoughts, there was no doubt that he'd be dead on the spot.

Ultron was now plugged in to Cho's machine. As much as Pietro tried, he found the robot's talk about whatever he was doing terribly boring— which caused him to tune out of what Ultron was saying. He stared straight on, not hearing any of Ultron's words, until Wanda took a step forward.

"I can read his thoughts," Wanda hummed, placing a hand on the machine holding Ultron's future body. A heartbeat passed, and she let out a blood-curdling scream; Pietro was by her side in a flash, catching his twin before she fell to the floor.

"You don't plan to just bring down the Avengers," Wanda breathed, horrified, as Pietro assisted her in standing. She clutched on to Pietro as she continued to stare at Ultron with wide, red eyes. "Extinction... you want... to kill off the human race!"

Pietro's turned to look at Ultron, his expression set in stone. "Is it true?" he demanded to know, pulling Wanda closer to him. "Don't look at it that way," Ultron drawled. "I am making the world a better place. It just so happens humans are in the way."

"And what will you do to us, once all of this done?" Wanda questioned. Pietro noticed her hand flex, her dark magic sprouting from her fingers. He watched as it made it's way to Dr. Cho. Smart girl, Pietro thought to himself as Dr. Cho snapped out of whatever spell Ultron had put her under. Ultron was in the middle of explaining why he needed the twins' help when Dr. Cho pulled out the machine, stopping the process of uploading Ultron in to his body.

In a split second, Pietro had held on to the back of Wanda's neck and dashed both of them out of the lab. He wasn't going anywhere specifically— his first thought was as far away from Ulton as possible— but as he kept running, he couldn't help but smile. A string of she was right, she was right, she was right was running through his head. As much as he hated admitting he was wrong whenever it came to Florea, this was one time he was willing to accept defeat.