Chapter 5: In To The Dark

a/n: here it is, *possibly* the last chapter to the story whiplash! the reason/s behind that are mentioned in the previous chapter/my author's note. i must say, i'm still astounded at the response i've gotten for this short story (?). you are all sooo amazing! thank you, loves!! and for the topic of a sequel, i'll be posting a chapter after this for the sole reason of discussing it. yes, there will be one! [squeals] again, thank you so much. i hope you enjoyed whiplash as much as i enjoyed writing it. read on! xo

p.s: the song for this chapter (i will follow you in to the dark, death cab for cutie) is my absolute favorite and is 100% relevant. please do give it a listen. :^)

‹ if there's n o o n e beside you when your soul embarks/i'll follow you into the dark

Pietro was a bit shocked to find Florea snuggled up against him, in his arms, when he woke up the next morning. Then he remembered the occurrences of last night, and he couldn't help but smile.

She looked so peaceful that Pietro almost didn't want to wake her. So much of him wished that it could be that way all the time: having her in his arms, her being the first thing he'd see in the morning. But they were on the brink of perhaps the biggest fight of their lives, and Pietro had to push such thoughts out of his head.

He had to focus on keeping Florea and Wanda safe.

"Hey," Florea's sleepy voice greeted. Pietro snapped out of his thoughts enough to look down and grin at Florea, with her mussed up hair and half-open eyelids. "Hey." he replied in a whisper. "What time is it?" she yawned in reply, squinting up at the sunlight flooding through her window.

"Time for you to get up," Pietro chuckled, tapping Florea's nose with a finger. She scrunched up her face in the most adorable way, making Pietro laugh a bit more. "What's so funny?" she asked, trying (and failing) to look scary. "You are." Pietro mumbled, leaning forward to give Florea a hard kiss on the top of her head. Her expression was priceless.

"You're cute when you're speechless," Pietro teased as he gently extracted himself from Florea. Sitting up, he stretched his limbs before winking at the girl. "I should get you like this more often, no?"

He was laughing all the way as he dashed out of Florea's room, hearing her yell his name after him.

Stopping by the kitchen of the Avengers headquarters, he found Wanda pouring herself some cereal. He bolted around his siter, grabbed the box and a bowl then began to pour out some for himself. "Rude." Wanda tsk-ed, using her magic to get the box back from Pietro.

"Good morning to you too, sister!" Pietro said cheerfully, shoveling a spoonful of the breakfast food in to his mouth. "You're in an awfully good mood for a soldier going out to war." Wanda said observantly. Pietro shrugged, merely continuing to eat his cereal with a smile.

"Did you sleep with her?"

The white-haired boy choked on the spoonful he'd taken, coughing vigorously until he cleared his airway. "What kind of question is that?" he choked out. "A one that almost killed you," Wanda snickered. "Well? Did you?"