A Spitting Image

*Seven Years Later*

~~~

I'm sorry, Father.

I'm sorry that I'll never live up to your status as legendary warrior. I'm sorry I can't even hold your title as warrior. The Great Eagle Bow will never fire arrows from my talons, flying true to their mark. Your Gale, your defiance to allow a weakness to strike the Rito, shall never ruffle these feathers.

Neither will Medoh.

He was posed on Sanidin Park's edge, in the shadow of the Great Horse, admiring the ruined castle. His feet moved like a dance, wings swinging in practiced maneuvers.

Talons twirled like Urbosa's heels, wings defensive like Revali's, posture in powerful respect, just like Mipha, determination gleaming through his face like Daruk.

Hours of practice apparent in every heartbeat, just like Link.

"Oh! Working on your dance?"

He swooped into a stop. "Yes, mom. I want all of them to be a part of my everyday life. It's only fair."

"This doesn't have to do with those rumors going around, does it?"

"They aren't rumors. Her spirit was actually seen at the Kakariko graveyard. Spirits aren't seen at a graveyard if they aren't dead."

"Perhaps she was mourning her husband, or that was the first quiet place her weary body found."

"Have you seen her alive?"

"Seen her, no. But I know the Calamity would ravage us all if its seal broke, and Her Highness holds the seal together. If she were dead, it would be free."

"So the Royal Family is alive?! Where've they been hiding?!" He flapped his navy and teal wings in a way that strongly resembled his late father.

"Revali the Second!" His mother flared her brown and pink wings. "The King, Queen and Prince are long deceased! Only the Princess and her unborn child remain!"

Both grew quiet, gazing up at the Great Horse, then at the Castle where their princess laid in endless attack.

"Is that why we live in Hyrule, not Rito Village?" He finally asked with barely a breath on his beak.

"I thought you liked Auntie Esosu and Auntie Horano?"

"I do! They're very wonderful. It's just... strange for a Rito to live in Southeastern Hyrule with a runaway Gerudo and a Zora guard opposing her elder ring."

"Yet the cliffs near Lurelin work wonderfully for us. The people there are so kind. And the ocean breeze, ah! So wonderful for these feathers."

Revali the Second smiled warmly, remembering the ocean mist shimmering on his wings. "You're right." He looked around. "Mom? May I fly around for a bit?"

"Of course! New wind around your feathers eases stress."

Revali the Second opened his wings and charged off Sanidin Park's edge, letting the air lift his wings before flapping. When he was up in the air, his wings instinctively cut through the air in a most melodical way. It was as if Zelda's spirit had taken him over and now had taken control of his body to engineer a song from winds. Deep in his own soul, he knew this would not be the last time he'd felt her, nor would this be her last song. It was merely an event of many firsts. He vowed that he could hear her holy voice on the melodies they'd created together. He was lost in time, and quite possibly space, as he interacted with this holy being so close to his family those many years ago.