Cursed

*Eighteen Years Later*

~~~

"Now, Temitri... you surely remember what we discussed?" Impa approached a strong Sheikah figure on horseback.

He pulled down his purple mask. "Of course, Mother. Father just asked me to run a delivery."

"Any suspicious beings?"

"No, Mother. The way was completely silent, just like usual."

"Temitri, I must ask you not to leave the village for any reason. The Yiga want nothing more than to get their hands on you, a life supposedly blessed by our lovely Zelda."

He slid off the dapple grey mare's back and patted her neck before turning back to his mother. "Of course, just let me return Morning Blossom to the pasture."

As they walked to where the Kakariko horses were kept, the air around them seemed to grow heavy. However, it wasn't until they were already back home, seated in silence for quite some time, before there was any noise.

"Mother? Why is it that you often don't give a title when referring to Champion Link or his wife, Zelda?" He figured, since she had not used 'prince' or 'princess' in years, he should find alternate titles.

Impa made a soft cooing sound as she mused on what to reply. "You always come back to that question... don't you?"

"It's been many years since last time and, at twenty five, I believe I am old enough."

"So it seems..." Impa chuckled softly. Oh, how her boy had grown up. "To tell you the truth, my boy... is because I don't know myself."

Temitri's face twisted in the utmost confusion. "You don't know why you refuse a title?"

"I don't know what to call them."

"What?! But you were the Royal Advisor! Surely you must know!"

Impa shook her head, pulling out a drawer with scattered journals, pens and a glass box that contained a very familiar anklet.

"Mother! Is that his wedding band?" He blinked in disbelief while his mother lifted the glass box and examined its sole content with a heavy heart.

"Indeed it is. Zelda was furious that we'd removed it. I promised her I'd keep it safe for him, when he returned for her." She sighed, sliding the box to the back of the drawer and flipping through her old diary. "So many things happened just before the Calamity... most of it was not public knowledge when the kingdom fell, so it was never learned." She led him to the upper room, then smoothly sat down on the mattress and presented the diary's open pages.

There was so much raw emotion contained by those pages, so much anger, confusion and fear. So much joy and sorrow... so much love.

Her Highness finally opened her mouth. For one of the first times ever, I am so relieved to hear her. The first entry that caught his eyes began. She has always had something to say, some opinion to voice like the roaring thunder, but she's been so quiet and distant for quite some time that I knew she was hiding something extravagant in consequence.

In fact, I almost wish I'd never her speak.

"We were all quite angry at her little... announcement." Impa's smooth voice distracted him. "Well, except for Aunt Purah."

How did she know which entry he was reading?

"It took a very long time for relationships within the castle to stabilize, and many never did." Impa flipped through a few more pages, glancing through the turbulent memories. "There was a skirmish about a week or so before the Calamity, and of course Zelda's baby was the subject. It was kept very quiet, as no one wanted more castle drama..."