chapter 4

DEREK

We get back to the house. I park and get out f the car. I go around to the back to help Avery out of the car.

I hear the door slam shut and see Christopher go inside before slamming the front door. I open Avery's door, unbuckle her, and help her out.

"I told you he's mad, Daddy," she says as I place her on the ground. "I know... but you're not?" I say as I grab her bag and close to door.

"I'm not mad, I'm just a little disappointed," she says before she runs inside. I think about what she said for a bit and then I think about what her teacher said.

I brushed it off and locked the door before going inside as well.

MEREDITH

I get home from work and I go inside the house. I drop my things on the table next to the front door. "Mommy?" I hear a small voice at the stairs.

"Hi, Honey. did you have fun while I was gone?" I ask walking over to him and crouching down to his level.

"No, I missed you and I don't like the babysitter," he says shyly. "what's wrong with the babysitter?" I ask, brushing his blond hair out of his face.

"I dunno, I don't like her... she's not you," he says, tears glistening in his eyes.

"come here, Sweetie," I say as I lift him up and into my arms. he wraps his arms around my neck and his legs around my waist.

"what do you need, Hmm? I'll get it for you," I say kissing the side of his a few times.

"I'm hungry, the babysitter doesn't know what I like, she just made yucky food," I says.

"Okay, I'll make you something to eat. do you want to play while I go in the kitchen?" I ask, kissing his cheek.

"No, I wanna go with you," he says. "Okay, you can sit at the counter," I kiss his forehead and take him into the kitchen.

I place Aaron on one of the stools at the counter. "how was wawk?" he asks. "work was good," I say as I start making his food.

"do you like those kids better than me?" he asks. "believe me, baby. I don't like any kids more then you," I say.

"do you have to go to work tomorrow too?" he asks. "yes, I do. I have to work Monday through Friday," I say.

"but then you're never home," he says. "yes, I'm only at work for seven hours a day and the rest of the day I'm home," I say.

I finish making his food. I put it on a plate and place it in front of him.

"seven hours is a lot," he says. "and you're asleep for two of those hours so technically for you it's only five hours,"

"but five hours is a lot," he says. "No, it's not a lot, just don't think about it and you should be fine," I say.

"but why do you have to work?" he asks. "because grown ups have to work, Aaron. and I'm a grown up. most of the day I'm here with you so you don't have to worry about that,"

"but I want to go with you," he says. "Aaron, you're almost four, do you want to go to pre-school? there's a pre-school close to the school where I work," I say.

"what's pre-school?" he asks. "pre-school is like a school that prepares you for a real school," I say.

"what do they do?" he asks. "well, they do fun things. do you wanna go?" I ask.

"I don't know," he shrugs.

"do you wanna go for one day and then if you don't like then you don't have to go but if you like it then you can all you want," I say.

"what if there are bad there?" he asks.

"they you tell the teacher," I say.

"but you are a teacher," he says.

"yes, but I'm not your teacher," I say.

"whose teacher are you then?" he asks.

"I'm a lot of kids teacher, just not your teacher," I say, walking around to kiss the side of his head.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*••*•*•*•*•*•*•*•