CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

As I open the door to welcome the boss of me, my face drops gradually in disappointment.
"Heyyy...okay. You don't seem glad to see me" complained Leo.
"I'm sorry, I was just expecting someone else" I respond truthfully since my displeasure is smeared all over my face
"Do come in".

He doesn't say a word until he's seated on one of the sofas in my living room.
"Well, I just dropped by to check how you're faring tonight".
I plop down in another sofa, nearest to his.

"Argh! It's began tough, I visited this restaurant, 'Foodie's Place' that's opposite Guy's to grab a bite, it was really tough fighting the temptation".
I grunt because of the phone by my side won't stop beeping, going crazy from the depraved friends.
"You might want to answer that" Leo points to the phone, I shake my head in response, assuring him it's alright as I put it on airplane mode.

"I'm glad the trust I had for you didn't waste, I was contemplating going to that bar to check on you".
"Damn Leo, have a little faith in me" I jest even though it remained a thimbleful of courage for me not to have run into Guy's.
There's a moment of silence which I break by strategically asking, "How are you? how have your week been?" He adjusts in his seat, taking another moment to reply stiffly.

"As of now Eleanor, I feel okay, good, and my week, it was fine and well".

Okay, I have just been defeated in expectation or hopes of getting something out of Leo, is that even an answer and why do I feel he doesn't like my question?
"I'm beyond perplexed Leo" I voice out cause there should be another way to know this man.

"And why is that?" He asked not a bit bothered.
" I ask you how you're doing, and you give me the same answer twice, is that even considered an answer? You don't have to reply that but—" I can't even look his way now, I'm beginning to sound dumb with my rambling which isn't leading anywhere.

Thankfully, he cut off the balderdash he was hearing to ask,
"Is there a problem if that's what I have to say. Tell me, Eleanor, what do you want to hear or perhaps, what do you want to know about me?"

If Cale can look deep into one's eyes trying to figure you out and still fail, Leo does the opposite, I'm not on eye contact with him because of how embarrassed I feel, yet he figured out my entire motive, especially the what-I-want-to-know-about-him part.

Well, want to know who I call a friend, if I can consider him a friend. I intend to know what he does, I want to know why I feel so free and comfortable in venting out to him, I would like to know his childhood, any friends, relatives, and most importantly I do want to also make him feel better the way he does to me, make him feel free to speak whenever he's with me, the same way I feel when I'm with him.
Not only that, but I wonder why he's being so reserved, secretive, does he prefer being private?
He conceals so much that all I want to do is break his armor...no, not totally break it, but find a crack, where I can easily slip through and search.

It's so frustrating, and I know I'm being a hypocrite because I also want people to respect my boundaries but everything in me is rebelling against that principle, I am extremely desperate now but if that's the term to tag my persistence, then so be it.

I'm sure anyone can sense this mysterious aura about Leo, the way he acts and talks, it's so peculiar yet astonishingly inviting, a good reason why I'm not anyone to just ignore. I want to know, I want to discover, I literally want to...wow! I'm here thinking of him just like I do of any project at work that I have to learn, study, review and ace, eventually tossing it aside to publishing, but this thing, it's not my journalism nature that's surfacing now, it's an urge, not any mere urge.

"Who's Leo?" I ask with a quivering voice, my anxiety just have to make itself known. He takes a deep breath, I see his jaw clench and unclench, his fist tighten and soften as if he's in pain, seems that simple question caused a reaction.

"I am Leonard Alvarez or just Leo, and I'm not a fan of questions Eleanor, so permit me if I don't have an appropriate answer to them. I didn't come prepared for an interview".

"Okay, I-I am age twenty-five, only man in the family....." he stops.
This is so weird, the way he looks now, it's of someone who's reminded of a distant memory. It's confirmed, he doesn't enjoy this, it's better I put all of this to a stop.

"Leonard—" I halt, suddenly liking the ring to it "-honestly, I am doing all of this, asking you questions about yourself to be a better friend. All this while, I've been an insufferable bore, dumping my problems on you, not caring about what might also be bothering your soul. See, Leo...I just want to listen, to help you that's if you need it, just like you do the same for me, that's all there is to it." I believe this is the sincerest lie I've told this year.

"But I don't think you can help me" is what comes from Leo, which doesn't sound right.
"Excuse me?"
Another moment of silence, then he clears his throat
"Why don't we talk better during dinner tomorrow. I'll come get you at 8pm, will that do?"
I nod in response.

There's no doubt I've made things between us so awkward judging from how he leaves without saying a word, not even a 'goodnight'. I don't think we'll still go to that dinner date, or he'll come pick me because I've just made things more miserable between us, I fear he'll keep his distance the more.

Respect his boundaries Eleanor, try respecting it.
But I'm sorry, I cannot.
"Ugh!" I groan loudly, picking my phone from the sofa I sat in a minute ago before heading to my bedroom.
As I switch off the airplane mode, a ton of messages file into my phone from the bozos I call friends, some messages are from the group while the rest are each of their respective text in the private section. I ignore them to text my dad,

Me: How is my lovely pops doing?

I leave the chat, knowing fully well I won't get an answer anytime soon unless his secretary is trying to impersonate him. Over to my girlfriends, I skip their mountain of questions, curses, and arguments to spill the tea.

Me: It's a dinner party date, guys. There's nothing to it, and he's just a friend and a neighbor.

In seconds, I see Carolyn and Esse typing, but Carol beat her to it.

Carolyn: Is it that your boss at work you told us about?

Esse: What boss at work?

Me: No way. We're not friends, it's someone else, you guys don't know him and I hope you never will, so chill out.

Carolyn: You can't hide anything from me, baby girl, I'll always find out.

Me: Please! Like the way you've found who Esse's boyfriend truly is.

I think I have typed and sent what I shouldn't because it's already two minutes long and there's still no reply from anyone.
Esse starts typing...

Esse: Wow! Eleanor, that's not cool

Me: I think I need to rest. Bye.

=========

Thank you for reading this far.
Darasimiwrites.