CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

From the direction her voice is coming from, she's almost unrecognizable with all the curls in her dark hair gone, her face is covered in a slight fade of powder, and she's donned in a short red dress. Instead of what any gorgeous woman should do, strutting over with that beautiful outfit, she's practically running down in heels, and it looks I'm not the only one mesmerized, my glaring company is too.

"I'm so sorry I made you wait Leo" she apologizes amidst heavy breaths after getting to where we are stood.
"I just got here" I lie to make her feel less guilty, but someone behind me clears his throat.

"Oh! Cale" she's staring at the stranger in surprise.
"Cale?" I blurted hastily.
Eleanor hesitates, "Yes...Cale, his name is Cale, I'm sorry, do you two know each other?" The stranger whose name is now Cale is confused, "I don't, although, I can't say the same for him".
An aversion, that's what I need to get away from this man.

"Can we get going, Eleanor?"
"Yes, yes, I'm all ready. See you later Cale" she bids he who still looks confused goodbye.
When we are in my car and on the way, I instigate a conversation about Cale, I really need to know him cause Kennedy mentioned Cale as the man who is after the syndicate, I'm not saying he is the one, but there's a chance he can be the one, there aren't many people named that kind of name, it's unique.

"Eleanor..can I ask you something?" the conversation starter.
She nods, taking her eyes off the phone in her palms, apparently, she's texting someone.
"About that man back at your apartment, Cale, who is he to you?"
For a response, she gasps in surprise. Have I said something unusual?

"No way, he's also asking me the same thing about you" she lifts her phone to show me who she's texting, the header reads

'Cale The Boss of Me' and she swings it away from my face, probably, so I can keep my eyes on the road.

"The boss of you, funny one, Eleanor". Beside me, she suppressed a laughter, "it's not a joke Leo, unfortunately for me, Cale is my boss at work".
That's a bomb ass shocking statement. Who lives next door to her boss?
"So...where do you both work?"
Eleanor replies nonchalantly, "At a media firm".

Anxiety takes over me instantly, I press the vehicle's brake on high impulse which makes the car go into a very harsh stop, it threw us both towards the windshield, far away from the seat, although crashing back into it in seconds because of the seatbelts.

"Lord! are you okay, Leo?" my companion screamed.
I shake off my extreme shock to reply, "I am... I am so sorry for alarming you. Are you alright?" she nods, the shock still in her eyes. The vehicles from behind won't let me process everything that just happened due to their ear deafening horns, my car is on the move again.

Back to the matter on ground, I can't believe what I just heard, Eleanor works at a Media Firm, meaning she's a Journalist, talk about life serving you your arch nemesis as a friend and a person whom you've taken interest in.

Concerning this new information about Cale, there is a 50percent chance he could be the enemy because, it's only someone who has access to the press that can publish such article which almost put the Hotel at jeopardy.

On the contrary, he looks harmless, somewhat cunning in speech, but I can't let my guards down, it's always the least expected criminals that commit the gravest crime, I'm a breathing example.

After this dinner, I need to send word to Axel, the investigating team has to run a background check on that man, on Kristoff's Crony and the intruder from Papa's funeral. I'm definitely in a tight spot here, the other woman who needs to be killed hasn't been found and there's an anonymous enemy out there, against me, against the syndicate. Not even a month yet, and I'm already walking on hot coals.