Chapter Two: Meeting Comet

It stood there, its wings above its head in a defensive position. It was really beautiful- its midnight scales gleamed in the afternoon sunlight, and its eyes were a majestic jewel-blue, not at all like Toothless's. Hiccup wondered why that was, but only for a brief second.

Because the new Night Fury had seen him.

It snarled, displaying rows of sharp teeth, and leaped off the rocky perch, straight at him.

Toothless screamed, but he was too slow. The new dragon landed on Hiccup, pinning him down. Its blue eyes were barely even pinpricks, they were so tight. It opened its mouth, and Hiccup could see down its throat, to where a blue glow emitted. He knew what that glow was. The dragon was readying to incinerate him.

For some reason, he wasn't very concerned- he was sleepy, and the Night Fury radiated heat. He wasn't really uncomfortable, and he felt it was fitting, for a Chief with the soul of a dragon to go down by dragonfire.

Hiccup closed his eyes and waited for the blast...

That never came.

Weight lifted off his chest, and Hiccup opened his eyes to see Toothless frantically growling at the new dragon. He seemed to be communicating with it, in the language only dragons understood. The Night Fury snarled and slammed its tail on the ground fiercely. It was then that Hiccup noticed the scar on its chest.

A long, white track ran down from its ribs to just behind its lower legs. It started in a sort of star shape, then ended in one long tail, like a comet on the dragon's belly. It did not disfigure it, in fact, it only heightened the Night Fury's beauty. Then it looked towards him and roared, and Hiccup's mind snapped back into motion. He now realized he had a large, angry Night Fury in his vicinity, and it was angry at him. He scooted away a bit, then realized the true momentousness of what he was seeing.

It was another Night Fury! Toothless wasn't alone anymore! His dragon did indeed seem very pleased at the other dragon's presence- his tail was wagging and he could barely stand still. How happy he must be, to finally have a friend, another of his kind, for so many years being the only one!

Then another thing popped into his head.

What if this Night Fury was a female??

That would be... incredible! If this new dragon was actually female, the race of Night Furys would be saved! There would be eggs, and hatchlings, and Toothless would never have to give his mating cry at the breeding island just for it to be ignored every year! The entire species would be rejuvenated!

It was a wonderful thought, a warming thought, a dreamy thought. But right now, it seemed that the other Night Fury was about to up and fly away. Even if it was a male, Hiccup knew he couldn't let that happen.

"Toothless!" he cried. Two pairs of dragon eyes fixated on him.

"Listen, you stay here and make sure this new Night Fury stays. I'm getting my mom, okay? I'll be back soon!"

And with that, he was off, buzzing with excitement as he followed Toothless's trail back to the village.

The blue-eyed Night Fury looked at Toothless pointedly, and he just shrugged, as if saying: Yeah, I know he's weird.

Hiccup did indeed come back soon, with Valka following behind. They found the two dragons staring at each other, their tails twitching, before Toothless pounced. The new Night Fury leaped back and then they were chasing each other around the banks of the glade's pond.

"Aww, they're playing." cooed Valka. The new dragon twisted around for a moment, catching Toothless's tail, and Hiccup's mother gasped.

"Its eyes. Are they really blue?" she whispered.

"Yes, why?"

At that, Valka threw her head back and laughed with glee. When she looked back down, her eyes were dancing with joy.

"What is it?" asked Hiccup, his heart lifting. Was the new Night Fury really...

"It's a female!" cried his mother, full of happiness. She grabbed Hiccup's arms and started dancing about, her footsteps light and airy, and Hiccup laughed with her. A female! A real, female Night Fury! The Night Fury race was saved!

Their revelries were interrupted by a long, low snarl.

They both looked over to see the female's blue eyes glaring at them, her pupils slits of blackness. She looked spitting mad.

"She doesn't like humans much, does she?" whispered Valka.

"No, not really." muttered Hiccup back.

Suddenly, another black head pushed in next to the female. Toothless grinned at Valka and her son, seeming overjoyed at his new companion.

"The only way she'll stay," hissed Hiccup's mother, her eyes fixated firmly on the blue ones, "is if she starts to trust the vikings."

"I'm on it."

Toothless nudged his new friend, and she hissed at them before turning and walking away. Valka gave a horrified gasp.

"That scar on her belly! What a terrible thing to do to such a beautiful creature." she lamented. "It's very old, too, at least seven years or more. It's interesting, though. It looks like a comet, doesn't it?"

Hiccup snapped his fingers.

"That's it! That's her name!"

"What?" asked Valka.

"Her name. It's Comet!"

Hiccup's mother nodded. "It fits."

The last female Night Fury had a name.

Comet.