Chapter Four: Comet Flees

The night was dark, and she was asleep. Her leafy nest in the glade was very comfortable, and she rolled in her slumber, dreaming of wonderful things.

Toothless. How incredible to meet another of her kind after so long! He was majestic, and brave, and proud, and funny. She couldn't remember meeting another Night Fury, not since her hatching, and the only memories of that was her mother, Startail. She was dead now, though. Startail had left the world almost as soon as she had entered it. It often grieved her, at night, the thought of her poor dear mother. But now, there was another, a stunning male!

Not only that, he was the alpha! Alpha of all dragons! What an extraordinary position, one of so much power! And if she mated with him, she would become none other than the alpha female.

She grunted happily and curled up, lost in her dreaming. She was happy here, to her amazement. She had a deep hatred of most humans, but she honestly liked the one Toothless called Hiccup. He really just wanted her to be his friend, and...

A sound cut through her sleep.

She woke up almost instantly, but she kept her eyes closed. Taking in a deep breath, she sniffed the air and pricked up her ears, listening carefully.

"Do you think there's really another Night Fury in here?"

"Nah. Why would the Chief hide it from all of Berk? He loves Night Furies."

"Aw, come on, you guys! It's still a cool place to explore. Don't be spoilsports!"

Inside the cave, her heart tightened. Humans! Stinking, violent, dirty humans, trying to add to her scars!

Her eyes glazed underneath their lids, and she remembered things she had tried to push away, things more painful than the wound down her stomach...

Ropes...

Dark cages...

Light and a horrible smell...

The whispers of other dragons...

Screaming babies, their life ended as soon as they crawled out of their shells...

And, the worst thing of all... A human' voice muttering in her ear, her head roped to the floor, the bonds chafing her scales...

You will obey me.

You will obey me.

I am your alpha...

She snapped out of it as she heard footsteps nearby, her heart pounding as she surfaced from her memories. The humans were close. Too close. She would teach them to fear her!

"Hey, look. There really is a dragon in here!"

"Is it a Night Fury?"

"I can't tell..."

She opened her eyes at last, and beheld six humans, one with a torch in hand. They were all young, five boys and a girl, but she only saw the monsters in them, not their youth or innocence.

Then she spotted what the girl was holding.

A shining dagger, at least a foot long, made of deadly sharp steel and engraved with a swirling pattern. Her eyes narrowed on it and something in her heart went cold as ice. She snapped up and roared at the humans, anger in her gaze, and shot a fireball at them. They scattered, leaving the path clear for her to leave.

She didn't think twice. She leapt out of the cave and up into the sky, hitting one of the humans with her tail. Up and up she went, terror running rampant in her mind. She had to get away! She had to flee, flee where no one would ever find her again!

Away from Berk! And she would never come back!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comet's mother, Startail, is a reference to@Tsunami_Holmes' Night Flight, another HTTYD fanfic that partially inspired me to write this. Please go check it out!