Chapter 3

Sleep.
She needed sleep.
Unlucky time to realize that, since it was 9 o'clock and she was working.
Kepler was blathering something about new rules she didn't really listened to.

"...What do you think about it?"
"Uh? Yeah, sure, as you prefer."
"'As you prefer'? Vera, are you ok?"
"What? Of course I am. I'm just tired. Nothing to worry about."
"Didn't you sleep well?"
Of course, Kepler was worried.

A grin appeared on Vera's face as she thought about last night and how they- NO. She couldn't allow herself to think about last night.

"What's so funny Vera? I was talking seriously: sleeping well is very impo- wait a minute..." comprehension began to come out on Kepler's expression.
Vera couldn't stop her self from letting out a little lough.

"YOU were with someone last night!"
"Who is him?"

Vera raised a brow.
"I don't find this a conson subject for the workplace" She said with a growing smile on her face.

Kepler laughed.

If I can say, I actually don't think she would have done that if she knew who was Vera's secret man...

__________________________________

A knocking at the door,
a movement of a well-cured hand
and Hamish Duke was standing in front of the Grand Magus' office.
That was the moment she was waiting with fear from the whole day.
But it had to be done.

"Mr Duke. What do you need?"
"Actually, Grand Magus, I wanted to talk about.." he lowered his voice "Last night. What happened was..."
"A mistake." She had to make that fast.
"Oh."
His voice tone was surprised, but Vera could hear something like disappointment too.

Obviously, if she allowed herself to look at him, she would have seen disappointment all over his face, but she needed to concentrate on something else, in order to evitate doing something really stupid.

"Anything else, mr Duke?"
Her gaze still low on her books.
"Nothing more. Thank you, Magus. For your time."

As she closed the door, a sigh run out of her mouth.
That was the right thing to do, and she knew he agreed with her.

Someone were now knocking at the door again.
"I already told you it was just-"
But it was now Kepler the one standing in front of her.
"Oh. Bitzy. Come in."

"Did you expect someone different?"
An evil grin on her face.
"Go straight to the point, Bitzy."

"A message arrived this morning to the council."
"Mhmh"
"There have been... some misunderstoodments with.. another temple."

"Alright. When does the part that affects me come?"
"Well, a council member had a sort of 'fight' with the Magus of this temple and we... uhm, need you to go and calm him. He's very angry."

"I'm not a babysitter Bitzy. If he had a fight with another member of the Order he has the responsibility to adjust things. This is not a kindergarten and you are not childish kids who need to be supervised."

"Vera, that was a very big fight and it would be too dangerous to send him there. The council all would be greatful if you could do that... please?"

Kepler's attempt to look at Vera with puppy eyes failed miserably, but she needed more support from the council.

"Fine. I'll go."
Bitzy's eyes shined.
"I'll tell the council about your decision.
We will let you know, but I guess you'll start your journey before the end of the week.".

She was already leaving when Vera called her name again.
"And where, exactly, is this temple?"
Bitzy hesitated.
"Uhm... Seattle?"

What?
"It's on the other side of the continent!"
Kepler quickly tried to calm her down.
"Of course we will chose for you the most comfortable hotel and best room and..."
"Bitzy!"
But she was already running away.