Chapter 5

"I'm glad everything is now clear, mr Clark."
They were walking out the Seattle's temple.
The temple Magus was, after all, a reasonable man and, Vera had to admit, not at all bad-looking.

He was about fifty, but his dark eyes showed a way younger man on the inside.

"Please, call me Thomas. It was a pleasure to meet you, Grand Magus. Even though I would have preferred better circumstances..."

He ran a hand through his greying hair.
"Maybe I could make me forgive by inviting you out for dinner?" He asked, hopefully.

Vera smiled, kindly.
"Well, Thomas, I-"

Hamish, who was standing right behind them, gave a cough.
Thomas Clark suddenly remembered about his presence.

"You, and your colleague, of course."
"Of course. We would be happy to be there."
Vera's face was kindly smiling, as usual, but her voice sounded disappointed.

"Wonderful! I'll invite some other friends of mine, then. It will be a lovely night!"
"You stay at the Paramount Hotel, right? I'll send a car for you two that will bring you at my house, alright?"

"That sounds perfect, Thomas."

"Anything for you, Grand Magus."
"Please, call me Vera."
"Great! See you later, Vera!"
"See you tonight, Thomas."

___________________________________

"What was that?"
"What was what?"

Vera and Hamish were in the taxi, on their way to the hotel.

"That thing you did when he was inviting me out."
"Oh. I just coughed. You know: all that air-conditioning on the airplane..."

"I wasn't born yesterday, mr Duke.
That was not a normal cough."

"Fine. What was it then?"
"It was meant to-"

"Although I hate to interrupt couple quarrels, we are arrived. Paramount Hotel, isn't it?"
The taxi driver were looking at them with an unamused face.

Vera sent him a deadly look before answering.
"We are NOT a couple. And don't you dare talk to me like that. I-"

"Listen, just pay me and I'll leave."
Vera's gaze was still burning, but she gave him the money and got out the vehicle.
"It doesn't end here." She said, pointing a finger at Hamish's chest, but looking directly inside his eyes.

The receptionist was a short, angry girl who looked like she had to fight every living soul in the nearby.

"Are you here for the check-in?" she asked, in a hasty tone.
Hamish was the first one to answer.
"Yes."
"Documents, please."

After a few minutes she gave back the cards and put a key on the counter.
A single key.

"You can go to your room now."

Vera and Hamish looked at each other.
"There should be two rooms."
"I'm afraid you are wrong. You booked for a single double room."

"There must have been an error. But, you know, that doesn't matter. I'll pay for another room. Any room will be alright."
Vera sighted. She had no strength to argue.

"Ehm... we are full."
"Seriously? You are seriously telling me there is not even a room left? God this must be a joke."

"Don't worry. I'll find another hotel for tonight and we will settle all this mess tomorrow morning."
Vera looked at the clock.
"It is already late. You have no time to find anywhere else to sleep."

Hamish looked at the clock in turn.
"Shit. You are right."
"Come on, we can make it for one night. Nothing is gonna happen."
"Well, that depends. Are you sure you can avoid jumping on me a whole night?"

Vera glanced at him with an incredule gaze.

"Too early?"