Significant Loss

The hectic and immersive evening had caused Arik to awake late in this morning. Which frustrated him, but he could not get the matter at hand off his mind. With the encounter of the previous night, he had found his skin crawling.

Arik himself had been lucky.

During the night Arik had moved and investigated the cadavers. From what he could tell their skin was some kind of metal. But they were entirely human in form. How he had pierced the hard skin he did not know. But he was thankful he had.

Having replayed the evenings encounter repeatedly in meditation. He still could not understand how his foe had stayed unseen. For all he could gather they were almost invisible to the eye and moved with the shadows. This itself was disconcerting and impossible. But they also fought with recognizable patterns and were clearly versed in martial prowess.

He had known that something had followed the boy and himself up the Old North Road, and that his family home was being watched. But he had not been able to see anyone suspicious around the village, more just an eerie feeling, the sense that eyes were gazing upon him.

That was until last night, bitter realisation that the watchers were in fact shadows and moved unseen had dawned upon him when he sensed the attackers around the usually silent Keane's Folly.

Bloodlust and killing intent had been thick in the air making the hairs on the back of the soldier's neck stand on end.

Now back upon the gelding and the Old North Road headed south toward Risvale, Arik still had many questions for Aern, as the child had fallen asleep quickly with extraordinarily little explanation as to what he was running from, for slavers from Kel Hamar would not expend such resources chasing a young child into the highlands.

"Aern, things just aren't making sense. Why were such malignant spirits hunting you? Why were you at Kel Hamar? and how in Aeden did you make it this far north before the shadows had torn you to pieces?"

Aern had dreaded this moment. He was only supposed to observe, Master had told him to observe the Child of the North and that was all. He felt that he was not supposed to reveal too much. But Master hadn't spoken in his dreams during the course of eventide, and he hadn't been able to spirit walk either. So, his connection must be weak. What was he supposed to do?

"I will tell you soon Arik. I know you are angry with me. But please just get us back to the house. It will be easier there." floundered the child.

"Oh, were goin' to the house and you're going to tell us ALL, everything, you'll be sure!" snapped Arik.

Aern was beginning to reason just that.

"How long until we arrive at the village?" asked the child trying to ease the tension. "Probably three more hours. We left late as we had breakfast." came the reply.

"You did sleep late too." slipped a slither of cheek from Aern.

"I didn't see you fighting any gnarly beasts this previous evening young sir!" quipped Arik right back. Then the two on the horse found themselves smiling and before long Arik was chuckling to himself.

"It'll be mid-afternoon when we get back, I think there'll be a red sky tonight" said Arik suddenly.

"How do you know that? asked Aern

"Because blood was spilled late last night." replied the soldier.

"That's horrible." Aern pondered aloud. "My master once said something about red skies."

"You have a master?" asked Arik startled by the boy's revelation.

"Of course." stated the child realising the slip of tongue.