Twelve.

Trigger warning: read at own risk.

Prince's POV:

Palm trees. Warm weather and the first time I'd seen my friend show any interest in clothing other than pieces that hid her body was in sunny California.

The other women in our group had bags full of materialistic items at my expense. Clothes. Jewelry. Very expensive perfume and shoes.

Exchanging gossip about what each item was worth as we went from store to store, shielded away from public view thanks to Kirk and Brian.

But no matter how hard I tried to convince the woman with blue and hazel eyes to buy something, to let me spoil her like the others, she respectfully declined with a head shake and smile.

Deb. A women's retail store that was Shenna's favorite. It had everything she loved at an expensive price and when we entered, I grumbled but told Shelia and her to get whatever they wanted, no question asked.

The only person who wasn't running around the store was the one I really wanted to genuinely spoil. Instead, she was browsing the bathing suit racks with pure curiosity as her fingertips touched the fabric of each top and bottom. Her eyes glanced up at the models on the poster board every now and then as if she'd never been in a clothing store.

I realized in that moment that there was a reason she was so very innocent. I just couldn't put my tongue on why.

"That's a pretty color," I commented, picking up the same bright color block one piece bathing suit  she'd placed back on the rack seconds prior. It was high cut but modest everywhere else. "Come on, I'll get it for you," I whispered close to her ear.

"No. I..I'm not taking your money." She said quietly. "That's.."

Cutting her off, my lips barely touched her cheek and I smiled once I pulled away. "It's not taking my money when I want to buy something mama."

She frowned but eventually nodded and gave me permission to buy the pink and blue bathing suit that barely costed one-hundred dollars. It was put in a generic gift bag with a bow on to keep the handles together, but the one I bought it for thought it was the coolest.

She mostly kept to herself as everyone had their own conversations. Me with Shelia, Brian with Shenna, and Kirk with John, who was my other security guard. Throughout this time, my grip on Mya's hand never loosened as we weaved in and out of people.

"What'd you get Miss Mya? Something good?" Shelia, the only one who actually included Mya in anything and spoke to her as if she wanted to be her friend, asked with a hiked eyebrow.

"It's a um, a bathing suit," Mya replied in a hesitant tone, but she smiled when Shelia inquired more, being careful with her words.

"Oh yeah? Can I see?"

My newest friend nodded with enthusiasm and untied the bow but before she could pull the bathing suit out of the bag fully to show Shelia, Shenna snorted and snatched it out of her hand.

"This ugly shit is what you're so excited to show her?"

That one statement changed Shelia's mood when she saw how much it hurt Mya's feelings.