🐺 f i v e 🐺

"Morning, sunshine." Theo's lips brushed her forehead quickly as he ran past her.

"Morning," Nova quietly said, although she was quite sure he hadn't heard her. The girl fixed the strap of her backpack on her shoulder and grabbed a croissant into one hand, already carrying a small cup of fruit salad in the other.

The girl glanced around briefly to look for her mom, but when she could find her, she headed toward the table around which the boys were already waiting for her.

She hadn't had the chance to fall asleep at midnight last night like she usually did. The dinner had been a party of sorts since by now most of the packs had arrived. There were many elders, all of whom knew each other from all the Alpha ceremonies they had gone through, just as many current Alphas, of who—to Nova's surprise and pleasure—about half were women, and future Alphas who were everywhere between the ages of three and twenty-seven. Only two packs were yet to get here, both of whom were from Canada and set to arrive today. Last night had been the eve of the party, so to say.

"Hey." "Morning." Her brothers greeted her, and the girl answered with a small nod. Some others from around the table murmured their hellos as well, and Nova felt an urge to smile, finally. It felt nice having someone greet you in the morning. They weren't friends, per se, but at least they acknowledged her presence.

"Off to your high school, human?" Jeremy teased.

Instead of throwing back a remark as she usually did around people she was comfortable with, the girl just lowered her gaze. She wasn't in the mood.

The boys could immediately tell, even the ones she had only met a few days or weeks ago. Ashton and Tyler shared looks, at which Eva cleared her throat. "Noves, you packed your things last night?"

The girl frowned. "No. I haven't even slept enough. I'll get it done after school, though." Even though I don't want to, she added in her head as she finished her salad. Since the last Alphas were arriving today, she was going to have to move out of her room for a month or so to lend it to one of the young ones who didn't have an elder or any kids. Nova already didn't like him for taking her room.

She kept eating quietly. Sharing a room with Ashton, Tyler, and Eva for the next month while she was supposed to get her homework done every day wasn't going to be ideal. Especially because of her nightmares. She didn't want them to find out that she was experiencing them every night—she might have lied that it only happened once a week.

"Babe, you're gonna be late."

Nova jumped on her seat a bit and snapped her head around to face Alyvia, Theo's mate, and the future Luna of the pack. The girl relaxed at her sight and sighed, at which the young woman gave her a sympathetic smile. "Come on."

She stood from her seat, and with a tired look at her brothers, grabbed her bag and made her way toward the exit. They walked toward the small parking lot in front of the building. That's where Alyvia usually kept her car in case of an emergency.

A car pulled up just as they climbed into theirs. Nova could feel her heart accelerating, her head pounding slightly, and suddenly, the picture from her last nightmare flashed in front of her eyes. Her knees buckled slightly and she fell into the car.

"You okay?" Alyvia asked when they buckled themselves in.

Nova couldn't take her mind off of the dream she had seen. It had been more real than ever before, and so much weirder. She could still feel her hands shaking every time she blinked. To make the matters worse, her mom was nowhere to be seen, and she didn't know how long she could keep the dream inside herself. She needed to tell someone. Anyone. "Fine."

She could feel her brother's mate observing her for a moment before turning the car on. The engine purred as it was switched on, but Nova's insides lurched at the sound. Something shook inside of her as if her heart was trying to escape from her chest.

As they drove away, she saw a pair of light green eyes staring her way.

...

The party had already started when Nova got back from school. It was four in the afternoon, and already she could see young werewolves, including Ashton, taking shot after shot of whiskey as if it was milk. Most of the younger kids were in the pool, swimming, and the girl saw some elders sitting in a small circle, laughing with beers in their hands.

She felt something wiggle in her chest. It was a weird feeling, as if something inside her was pulling her toward all the people in the yard. A silent voice seemed to be calling her name. Nova. Nova. Nova!

The girl took a breath and started walking toward the house, with her backpack slung over her shoulder. Tyler strolled beside her, casually smiling and greeting people as they passed them until Eva came into sight. Nova could barely say hello before the young woman's arms were around her brother, kissing him heavily.

Nova suppressed a giggle and stepped into the house.

Noises could be heard from the kitchen, the lounge, upstairs, even. All the packs were here now. Everyone from North America had come, and everyone but one of the pack leaders she had been forced to meet and shake hands with. She didn't want to even see the last one, though, the one who had arrived this morning. His name was Alpha Hunter, and he had been assigned her room, which meant she needed to move out today.

Nova was about to walk up the stairs before a familiar voice stopped her. "Hey, sunshine. How was school?"

She smiled and turned around. "Good! I made a..." she trailed off when she saw her brother wasn't alone. "...friend."

The same green eyes she had seen in the morning were burning into her soul. She was mesmerized. The irises were slightly oval-shaped, and the left pupil seemed to be missing a piece of it—a green streak almost reached the middle of the black. Nova exhaled.

"You did?" Theo grinned. "Who is it? The girl from lunch?"

Nova's hands suddenly felt clammy, and she almost felt the way her eyebrows started sweating, too. The girl subtly wiped her hands on her green-and-black uniform skirt, and gulped, dragging her eyes away from the man next to Theo. "Yeah." Her smile faltered a bit and her shoulders raised.

Theo seemed to take the message and wondered he'd have time to talk to her about school later. He needed to introduce the guy fast before Nova would get even more uncomfortable. "Noves, this is Alpha Hunter from the Moonsky Pack. Hunt, this is my baby sister, Nova."

Of course, she had heard a lot about Alpha Hunter, mostly from the old ladies in the pack who liked to gossip. She had heard about his temper, his strict presence, his scowl—all of which seemed to be true, of course—but no one had ever mentioned anything about the softness in his eyes when he looked at her, or the silkiness of his skin when her hand met his in a brief, very gentle shake.

"Hi," Nova managed when her hand had fallen back to her side. She felt the need to step beside her brother and hide behind his back. But that was ridiculous, she told herself. She was seventeen not seven. She could face meeting new people, even if those new people would steal her bed and room for a month, and even if they looked wildly intimidating.

Theo tapped her shoulder twice, and she, again, had to pull her attention from the gorgeous man in front of her to look at her oldest brother. "Go get changed. There are snacks outside and in the kitchen. I'll be by the pool if ya need me."

Nova nodded, and just because she didn't want to get lost in Alpha Hunter's eyes again, spared no looks at the man before twirling around and hurrying upstairs. God, she hoped he hadn't been able to see up her skirt...

...

Hunter is hereee! Can't wait to share the whole story with you (: