𝙒𝙀𝙇𝘾𝙊𝙈𝙀 𝙏𝙊 𝙎𝙋𝙇𝘼𝙏𝙎𝙑𝙄𝙇𝙇𝙀 - Splatoon 3

╭─────────────────── !

Take in the crisp city air, the humidity of the land,
and the lights of the city.

<コ:彡──────────────────╯

NOTES !
. The context is that this is your first time in Splatsville, but you found a little buddy on your way to the train station.
. Reader's species is not mentioned.

THE SUBWAY SCREECHED TO A STOP, the transport heaving a sigh once its wheels had settled against the steel tracks

THE SUBWAY SCREECHED TO A STOP, the transport heaving a sigh once its wheels had settled against the steel tracks. You sat in the corner of the subway car, eyes glazed over as you mindlessly gazed across the harsh terrain of the Splatlands. Your newfound salmon friend was sound asleep, cozy inside of your backpack you wore backward on your chest. Excited chatter started up among the teen cephalopods brought you back to your senses and you hurriedly blinked yourself out of your daze. From inside the train car, you could already hear the cries and shouts of creatures dancing through the streets, you couldn't wait to get out there. Your subway car was packed, there was no way you were going to try and squeeze through the rowdy teens to get to the city, you had a little buddy to take care of now. Speaking of your small friend, you gently nudged them on the back, mumbling good mornings and encouragement. Their eyes drowsily blinked open, and they let out a yawn before looking up at your face peering down at them. You let out a little smile and thought they smiled back, though it's hard to tell with such a creature.

Soon the cephalopods filtered out into the station, and you were able to exit the train. The hot air covered your skin, sayonara to the air conditioning of the subway. Along with the ever-present heat expected in the Splatlands, the nearly overwhelming smell of street food filled the air and your lungs. Yakitori and Takoyaki were the most prominent foods you could pick out from the aroma wafting through the streets. You felt the small fry in your pack hop around, it seems they caught a whiff of the treats as well. You were definitely going to get some food before anything else. The festival music played through Splatsville as you made your way to the vendor stalls, your little buddy wiggling to the beat.

"You have no, you have no," An octoling's voice rang out of the speakers littering the city. "You have no idea that I love you~"

You paused in your walk, swayed by the sudden vocals. The voice was cool and clear, reminding you of a freshly laid layer of snow. Assuming a concert was taking place with Splatsville's resident idols for the Splatfest, you looked down the streets in search of a stage.

"Should I go? Should I go? Should I have to make a fool of me?" A shadow covered the ground around you and you looked over your shoulder. A floating contraption loomed over your being, blue lights, and scales lit up around your vision.

You froze, clutching the backpack on your chest out of fear before you realized it wasn't going to fall on you. The contraption gracefully floated over your head and through the street. As it passed over, you couldn't help but follow it, entranced by the technological marvel and the music performed by it. Another voice drew your attention away from the floating figure in front of you. You looked behind and a second floating contraption trailed not too far behind the first one you spotted. Its scales were a bright red, slightly fluttering as it slowly sailed through the air. You could make out some figure dancing on top of it, it was a large and wavy sea creature, maybe some kind of manta ray?

"You and I are the light!"

At the sound of a third voice, you jogged past the red float, towards where you first saw it come into view. Your small fry pushed against you towards the food stalls you almost reached but still wiggled to the melody.

"Don't tell me you are, not coming back!" A yellow float glided into view, adorned with luminous scales and fins not unlike the first two you witnessed. A bright yellow inkling danced energetically on top of the contraption.

"Open wide, oh ~ goodbye ain't easy," Your eyes followed the float's path, and to your surprise, it ended up above the entrance to the station you just exited. The other two machines were resting there in a row, the performers on top twirling around while waiting for their trio to be completed. The yellow contraption slid into place at the end of the row, steam hissed out and machinery whirled as it clicked into place

"You're the only one who's just for me!" The streets erupted into cheer, and lights seemed to intensify at this new melody.

"Hallelujah, a taste of heaven," You looked around the streets, creatures of all kinds danced in their own chaotic styles, and yet every move was unique to the beat. "So you're off on your own, na na!"

"Hallelujah, a place so way up," Even some of the shop owners left their posts, peering outside their stores or standing near the doors, all enjoying the festival of lights. "You're all coming in time, na na!~"

"Hallelujah, la tres forever," The three performers twirled and waved on their conjoined stage, the long dragon-like fish's scales glowed with pride. "So now go on your own, na na.."

"Hallelujah, embrace forever," The small fry in your bag crawled onto your shoulder as you were entranced by the city, it jiggled on your shoulder and nuzzled your cheek. The slimy yet rough texture disconcerted you, but you couldn't be happier.

You were alive, and nothing could be better than this warm and colorful moment.

"ALL AROUND ME RIGHT NOW, NA NA!~"

NOTES ! 
. Credit to Caitlin Koi for the lyrics.

[ published: 8/30/2022 ]
[ edited: 3/12/2024 ]
[ word count: 918 ]