Selka, Alice's Little Sister

Chapter 2

March 20, year 378 in the time of the realm of humanity.

Asuna's POV

"Forty..-Five" Eugeo-Kun counted as he struck the Colossal tree that is the Gigas Cedar. I and Eugeo-Kun would switch on chopping the tree down.

Waking up early and following the schedule that Selka told me was easy for me because of how strict my mother was before the SAO incident. I continued helping Eugeo-Kun with his job or "Calling".

"There are still things I don't understand about this world. And find out why I'm here, I'll need to go to the Central City but I will also need Eugeo-kun assistance." I looked at the Gigas Cedar "But for Eugeo-Kun to come with me and go to the Central City I'll need to release him from his Calling. I guess we'll have to maybe chop down the tree?".

"What was that?" Eugeo-Kun asked me as he approached me.

"Nothing." I replied.

"That's it for the morning, let's have lunch."

Eugeo-Kun told me as he unwrapped the bread that was wrapped in his hand.

"Thanks for the meal." I said as I started eating the same bread that Eugeo-Kun handed me yesterday. The bread was very difficult to eat because it was hard.

Eugeo-Kun looked at me and smiled "I wish you could've tasted Alice's pie. The crust was so flaky, and there was filling. And having it with milk-" Eugeo-Kun looked at the bread he was currently holding "I couldn't think of anything in the world that tasted better." Eugeo-Kun told me, that he seemed like he was remembering something.

"Was Alice's Calling a baker?" I asked him. Eugeo-Kun let out a small laugh and looked at me. "No, it wasn't". He replied.

"Alice was studying the sacred arts at the church." raising both of his hands "She was known as the greatest prodigy ever born in the town and could cast all kinds of spells by the time she was ten." He proudly claimed.

I stood up "Really? Then what about Selka, the girl living at the church now?" I asked.

"She's Alice's little sister. After Alice was gone, she moved into the church to become a nun and study the sacred arts." He answered.

"Then what about the kids that were at the church besides Selka?" I asked again.

"Those were children who lost their parents while they were young. Because of an epidemic that broke out two years ago." He answered.

"Come to think of it, many weird things started happening lately. Goblins were spotted on the south road recently, they had been abducting and hurting people." He continued.

"Goblins?"I asked as my face turned serious.

"Though I just think that they're just rumors because an Integrity Knight would have already subdued them." Eugeo-Kun stated.

"They have to." He continued, and even though his expression was calm, his body language said otherwise. He gripped the bread he was currently holding tighter.

"All Alice did was touch the ground of the land of darkness, and those goblins did was much worse." He told me.

"Eugeo-Kun..." I replied feeling pitiful about Eugeo-Kun.

He looked at me."Still, it's that after the last 2 or 3 years, there were still more graves behind the church."

I sat down near Eugeo-Kun."Isn't there a way to bring someone back to life using sacred arts?" I asked.

"I don't know." He replied.

"It's not the same. Alice did say that there's a high-level sacred art that can stop life from decreasing." He continued his answer.