Chapter 1

"234!" the speaker echoed. That was the sign for either you had a visitor or it was your cue for therapy sessions. I sighed.

Besides talking to me and laying in bed, Avery didn't do much. She didn't join the rest of us in the hall for lunch, rather her food was brought to her.

She rarely ate too. She was getting worse and i knew it. But if I helped her get better, she would leave me, but she was getting so worse even for the both of us.

I stood up to the cabinet to get some water. Couldn't sleep as usual. Insomnia had been one of my many demons even before I was brought here.

"Can't sleep?" Avery called out softly.

"yeah" I replied.

The hallways was so quiet. Seemed like everyone obeyed the curfew. One-time, I went out for a stroll when I caught nurse Judy making out with one of the doctors in one of the empty wards. It was so funny the way they scrambled to their feet in search of their clothes.

"What were you like outside?" Avery started. We hadn't had this sort of conversation before.

"I was sweet. Yeah... Too sweet if I should say, I became a pushover even to my younger sister. I had a heart of gold, I could give even to my own detriment. Yes. That was the type of person I was."

"How did a 'sweet' girl like you end up here then?"

"My dad. Ever since he and my mum split, he had been sleeping with me. He did that for ten years straight. He never touched my sister. His words were 'a little girl like her couldn't contain him'. But she was just two years younger than I was and I was 11 then".

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I gulped heavily. Recalling everything kind of overwhelmed me.

"So one night, he came into my room and he forced himself on me. I somehow was able to tackle him and run to the kitchen. I picked up a knife and he began struggling with me. You already know how it ends."

"My sister couldn't bear what happened to him. I didn't mean it, I mean it was purely self defense right? I called the cops but they found it hard to believe. I told them to confirm from my sister, but she turned the tables on me. At the last minute, she pretended like I wasn't the victim and they took me away. The cops claimed I was dilusional and that's how I got here."

"Your sister was a bitch!" Avery whispered.

"She was. But it's all in the past now."

"You see D, everything happened for a reason. You ended up here, I ended up here and I couldn't have asked for more" she said quietly.

"Love you too" I whispered as I turned to my side.

______________★______________

Thanks for reading guys. You already know the drill. Leave your comments, share, and tap on the star(vote)

Xoxo,
Niverah