2 - Reunion

"Thank you for the help, Elroy." Amora said after they had finally left the market. "I really appreciate it."

Elroy said nothing but he did toss up one curious glance. One of his eyes was tarnished by what she thought was a scar from a giant bear claw.

She smiled kindly in hopes that he'd know she was sincere. He said nothing and put his focus back onto the rocky path ahead of them as he burdened the small hand wagon on his own.

Their height difference made the walk a bit awkward for Amora. He was no taller than her knees and it simply took one step for her to match his pace. She wondered if she was coming off as disrespectful without meaning to.

"Um..." she poked her fingers together, "would it be easier if I took a handle?"

Elroy looked at her like she had just spoken in tongues.

"Or maybe you'd be more comfortable if I, uh, held two boxes and you could carry the other?"

She was surprised at his sharp glare but not nearly as surprised when he finally spoke up with an accusation.

"You sayin' I'm weak or something, missy?"

"N-Not at all! I just thought it'd make more sense to lessen your load. And...well..." she glanced away, "...I don't see why you should have to manage a wagon like a mule when you're nothing of the sort."

"Am I not?" He challenged.

Amora fell silent. Had she been born a monster like Elroy she would've been under the burden of a wagon, the crack of the whip, or the snide of the Stone monarchy's unfair hierarchal system all the more.

Elroy sighed and pulled the wagon off the dirt road to hide under a thicket of bushes. Then he took out a box and held it up for her as he carried the other two. Amora accepted it, noting his stern demeanor had somewhat lessened.

"Why are you hiding the wagon?"

"'Cause if it gets stolen it'll be my ass on the line." He explained simply as they treaded on.

The memory of Mr. Webb reprimanding Elroy over absolutely nothing made her wince.

"I'm disappointed to see Mr. Webb take on such atrocious behavior."

"Your pity is not needed."

"Oh, I don't mean to pity you, sir." she explains in earnest. "It's simply disheartening to learn that someone I know can harbor such disdain to those of a different species."

"Very naive of you."

Amora winced. "W..well, forgive my limited understanding. I'm not permitted to go out often."

Elroy considered her a moment, his faded right eye staring up at her unblinkingly. "You ought to  think long and hard about the meaning of kindness, young lady, and why you might receive it from some but not others."

"What do you mean?"

Elroy shook his head, letting the sounds of their mismatched footsteps consume the silence for a long moment.

"Kindness, pleasantness, politeness...they're good traits but they can be used against you. People like Mr. Webb don't really care about helping others when they've got their own problems to sort."

Now it was Amora's turn to be offended. She wanted to tell him how judgmental he was being, that Felix Webb knew her father and was a good man...but then she remembered that that was a long time ago.

"People change with time," Elroy said her thoughts aloud. His thick callused fingers brushed along the sensitive skin of his scar. "Selfishness, hatred, and betrayal sours the purity of goodness.