Chapter 1

Ila frantically awakens and sits up in bed. She looks over at the clock that displays 7:30.

"Shit! I overslept!" she huffs as she climbs out of bed and rushes to the bathroom. After brushing her teeth and throwing on her Hawkins High cheerleader uniform, she runs to the kitchen where her mother is standing at the counter.

"Ila, this is why I keep telling you not to stay up so late!"

"I know, Mom, but my tests aren't going to pass themselves!" Ila groans as she grabs a bagel and her backpack, heading towards the front door.

"Well, you really aren't going to pass them if you sleep through them," her mother says with a smile, placing her hand on her hip.

"Yeah, yeah, I know, Mom. Gotta run if I'm going to make it in time for my first period chem test. I have to do well on these if I want to get into a good college for next year," Ila says, throwing the front door open and starting out.

"Ila!" her mother shouts.

"Yeah?" Ila calls, popping her head back in the door.

"Forgetting something?" She holds up Ila's car keys.

"Oh, yeah. Wouldn't have gotten far without those," Ila laughs, taking the keys. "Thanks, Mom. Oh, where is Dustin? He usually rides with me."

"He stayed the night at Mike's. Something about a meeting for his Dungeons and Dragons club."

"Him and that game," Ila laughs. "Well, I should get going. See you at the game tonight?"

"Actually, I picked up an extra shift at the hospital tonight. We really need that overtime money if we are going to be sending you to college."

"Aw, okay. Well, I'll see you tomorrow, then."

"Alright, honey. Have fun! Tell Chrissy and Jason I said hello."

"Will do, Mom! Bye!" Ila shouts as she runs to her car.

Ila peels out of the driveway and heads towards Hawkins High. After a few minutes, her car starts to make a clanking noise and begins to slow down.

"Are you kidding me?" Ila shouts, slamming her hands on the steering wheel as the car comes to a stop. She gets out and grabs her backpack, starting to walk. "I don't have time for this shit, I have to get to school." As she is walking, a creepy looking, beat-up van comes up beside her and slows, the window sliding down.

"Ila, right? Henderson's sister?" a boy in the driver seat says, putting out his cigarette and throwing it on the ground.

"Yeah. Eddie? Eddie Munson?" Ila responds.

"Guilty as charged. I saw your car a little ways back. You need a lift?"

Ila contemplates. Eddie is considered the freak at school and she doesn't really know him that well, other than that he is in that D&D club with her brother Dustin. Hesitant to get in a car with somewhat of a stranger, especially someone considered to be bad news at school, she pauses.

"I would be caught dead if I showed up to school with Eddie Munson, the freaky, drug dealing, nerdy metalhead," Ila thinks to herself. "Jason would never let me live it down."

She then remembers she can't miss her chemistry exam. Eddie notices her thinking.

"What? You think I'm going to kidnap you or something?" he jokes, smirking.

"Well, I really don't know you at all, but I need to get to first period on time so, why not?" Ila says and hops in the passenger seat of Eddie's van. "So you're running late too, huh?"

"Nah, I just don't care," Eddie laughs. "What's your rush?"

"I have a test first period. I need to keep my GPA up so I can get into a good college for next year."

"College is overrated," Eddie responds. Ila rolls her eyes.

"That's coming from someone who can't even finish high school. How many times have you started twelfth grade, Munson?" Ila says teasingly.

"This is the third time I've been a high school senior," Eddie says, holding his head high proudly, as if it is some type of accomplishment.

"Wow, Munson. That's gotta be a school record," Ila laughs. Eddie turns to her and smiles.

"You know, for a cheerleader, you're pretty chill," he says, his face turning serious. Ila turns to look at him.

"For a cheerleader, huh?"

"Well, yeah. Most of them are stuck up and would have kept walking before ever getting in a car with me," Eddie replies, glancing down momentarily before putting his eyes back on the road. "Nobody wants to be seen with the freak."

"Well, for a freak, you are pretty chill, too," Ila says, smiling at him. Eddie looks at her and blushes. They then arrive at school and Eddie parks the van. "Thank you for the ride, Eddie. I really appreciate it. I would have thought you would have seen my cheerleader uniform and just kept driving."

"Nah, believe it or not, I was taught manners and to respect the ladies, cheerleader or not," Eddie says, smirking and opening his door. Ila starts to open her door and Eddie stops her. "Ah ah ah. I did say I had manners," he says, coming around the front of the van and opening her door for her.

"Oh, thanks, Munson." Ila says as he extends his hand out for her to take. She climbs out of the van while holding onto Eddie's hand, blushing and looking around nervously.

"Don't worry, I park far away and everyone is inside by now. No one saw you," Eddie says, looking a bit disappointed. Ila frowns and looks down.

"I didn't mean to come off that way," Ila said, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry. Thank you for the ride. I'll see you around." She starts heading toward the main entrance.

"See you around, Henderson," Eddie responds, waiting at his van to let her walk in alone so she won't be seen with him, once again showing his manners. "See you around," he repeats under his breath, mesmerized by the fact that a cheerleader didn't match the terrible stuck up stereotype he knew so well. He didn't know how to go about it, but he just knew he needed to be around her more.