'Heaven is a place on earth'

(Y/N pov)

"What time is it?" Zoe groggily asked, sitting up in her bed. Her brown hair looked like a nest on top of her head.

"8:48." I answered, turning the page in the book I was reading.

She groaned and went to the bathroom.

We were currently in Zoe's bedroom in their chalet. Zoe had invited me on one of her family's yearly skiing trips.

I don't really like skiing, but I hate being alone more.

Which is why she invited me in the first place. My parents are away on a business trip and my sister is on a girls trip with her university friends. I'm really bad at staying alone. If I do, I usually can't sleep. And if I do sleep, I get nightmares. During the day, I stay in my bedroom with the door locked, which is annoying if you have to go to the bathroom or if you didn't bring enough food.

Zoe had been wanting to bring me along to come skiing for a while, but they never had enough space. Usually one of her dad's coworkers and his wife, the Harris', would come with them, but they got sick this year. They had already paid and prepared for everything, so Zoe proposed that I, her best friend of 3 years, come with them. Which meant I stayed in a room with her, which had two single beds. She usually shared this room with her brother, who got the Harris's room this year.

Zoe walked out of the bathroom, her hair looking a lot better than before and she was completely dressed.

I had been awake for about ten minutes before her, so I was completely dressed and ready to go.

I looked at the time on my phone, because I didn't have an alarm clock on my nightstand. 8:56.

"Come, we said we'd eat breakfast at 9." I said, closing my book and placing it on my nightstand.

Cynthia, Zoe's mom, had wanted everyone to eat every meal together. She had decided on an hour, which was 8 am, on which we should all be around the dining room table. We tried this on the second day we were here, but Connor arrived really late saying 8 am was way too early. So she changed it to 8:25, which was still too early.

During a big argument about this two days ago, I agreed with Connor. I was usually only awake at 8:40, so eating at 8:25 would be complicated. Zoe agreed with me, so Cynthia decided to change it to 9 o'clock.

"Great, I'm starving." Zoe groaned, opening the bedroom door.

She left the room with me shortly behind her.

I took the time to nicely close the door. When I turned around, Zoe was already half-way down the stairs.

The door in front of ours opened, revealing Connor.

He was dressed head-to-toe in black, like always, and his hair looked soft and fluffy as usual.

I've had the tiniest crush on Connor for about as long as I've known Zoe. It started with me just finding him really attractive, but, in the couple conversation I've had with him, he seemed really nice. Which didn't help.

I've never talked to Zoe about this. Firstly, it's her brother, second, she doesn't see him in the best light. To her he's close to a monster. I can't really agree with her, but then again, I've never lived with him for more than a week. And even then, we spent most of our sleepover time in her room.

He just mostly seems misunderstood to me.

Connor and I just stood there staring at each other for a moment, before I smiled at him and followed Zoe down the stairs. He followed silently behind me.

When we arrived downstairs, everyone was already seated at the table, except Cynthia, who was bringing people plates.

Zoe was sitting at the head of the table, with on her right, an open chair for Cynthia and next to her, Larry. On her left were two open chairs. Connor sat down the farthest away from everyone, so that left one chair in between the two siblings. I sat down, while Cynthia placed the last plate on the table and took a seat.