Stove Cookies

I closed my book and placed it on my night stand. I had just finished it and I didn't want to start a new one.

I had been in my room for basically the whole day. I saw Connor at lunch, but that was it.

Bored and needing human interaction, I stood up and walked towards Connor's room.

I quickly knocked on the door. Hearing a 'Come in', I opened the door.

"I'm bored. Wanna do something?" I asked, leaning with my uninjured arm against the door frame.

"Sure." He answered, placing down his book and throwing his legs over the side of his bed. "Board games?"

"Which ones do you have to offer?" I smirked, walking into the room.

After some debating we decided on monopoly and I was severely winning.

"That's my property." I said, after he placed his piece down.

He groaned, letting his head fall back.

I felt a bit bad that he was losing this badly, but it's part of the game.

"How are you so good at this?" He asked, counting the money he owned me.

"I've never flaked on a game night." I answered, accepting his money with a sad smile.

"I flake every time." He laughed, while I rolled the dice.

"Why?" I asked, curiously.

He seemed shocked by my interest, before thinking about his answer.

"I would prefer to be in my room, alone."

He seemed sad, so I decided to drop the topic.

We finished the game talking about lighter subjects and I ended up winning.

------------} ♥ {------------

"Do you know where the matches are?" I yelled to Connor from the kitchen.

The electricity had just fallen out, which meant we had no light and no warmth.

I had my phone light out, desperately trying to find matches. I had already found a shit ton of candles, I just needed to light them.

With my head in one of the kitchen cabinets, I heard Connor enter the kitchen.

"Looking for these?"

I looked up and there they were, balancing between Connor's index finger and thumb.

"You're amazing. Thank you." I ran towards him and snatched the matches out his hand.

I placed my phone down and tried lighting one of the matches.

I failed miserably.

Seeing my struggle, Connor came to help.

"You're going too fast." He said next to my ear. His chest was pressed against my back.

He carefully put his hands over mine and flicked the match against the box. A flame sprung alive onto it. He guided my hand to a candle and lit it. He started lighting candle after candle using my hand.

His breath hit my cheek, making my face heat up.

I mean, the whole thing was making me melt.

I was so small next to him. He could easily see the countertop from above my head.

Once all the candles were lit, he blew the match out and stepped away from me.

I started spreading the candles out over the whole kitchen, trying to calm my racing heart.