Late Nights and Early Mornings

I was standing in a big dark room. There was a circle of light around me, coming from a single light-bulb hanging from the ceiling. Everything I could see was enveloped by darkness.

I looked around, trying to see something or someone else in the void.

From the corner of my eye I saw something move. The void moved with it like water.

I furrowed my brows and walked closer to the darkness.

I carefully reached out and touched the ink-blank void. My hand came back wet, which only made me more confused. How is light holding water back?

But before I could focus on it too much, I saw the water move again.

I turned to look at it, but it was already lost in the darkness.

Looking down, I realized the circle of light, the only thing protecting me from whatever was in the water and the water itself, was getting smaller and smaller.

I took a step back, only to be hit by a wall of water. I stepped back to the middle of the circle, my back soaked.

The creature was moving faster and faster, making water spill into the light.

My breathing was getting faster and more shallow. It felt like I was drowning, even though I wasn't submerged yet.

That didn't last long though. The water removed the last ray of light there was.

The water pushed me down into the floor, which I only now realized is mud.

The creature was circling around me, but because of the darkness of the water, I couldn't make out what it was.

It's tail hit my left arm, making a shot of pain run up it.

I wanted to scream of fear and pain, but when I opened my mouth, water spilled inside.

My body was begging for air and to get out of this lake, ocean, whatever it is.

I tried to swim up, but the water was too heavy and my muscles were too tired.

The creature was hitting my arm with his tail more and more often, making my silently cry out in pain.

My consciousness was slowly floating away from me. I wanted to fight, to hold on to it, but I was exhausted and my arm was killing me, so I slowly let it go, making it float away into the ink-blank water around me.

I shot up, breathing heavily. My back was covered in sweat and my arm was throbbing in pain.

Groggily, I got out of bed. I started walking towards Zoe's bed, before remembering she wasn't there.

A small sob left my mouth, before I left the room.

I entered the first room I saw, which thankfully was Connor's.

He was laying in his bed, back facing me, covered in his thick blanket.

"Connor?" I sniffled.

I saw his silhouette turn around towards me, before slowly sitting up.

"Y/N? What's wrong?" He asked, his voice low and raspy.

I couldn't find the strength to speak, most certainly because my breathing was still shallow.

Connor got out of bed and led me towards his bathroom.

He turned the light on, which made me blink against it.

"Shit, you're soaked." He mumbled. His hair was a mess. Pieces of hair stuck out all over the place. His hair still seemed super soft, though.

Weirdly enough, focusing on it, helped me calm down a bit.