Chapter 10 - (meliorism)

(M e l i o r i s m)

the believe that the world gets better

It's like this:

Harry returned to Britain later than he ever thought he would, yet certainly earlier than he would have if Andromeda hadn't written to him.

He returned three years after he left, and he didn't return alone.

Andromeda welcomed them both with open arms. She was even more gaunt than the last time Harry had seen her, her hair was thin and unkept, and her eyes had dark bags underneath them.

Just like Harry now finally managed to catch sleep — no longer screaming at night, shaking and seeing things long passed — sleep was evading her more and more each day.

Andromeda was exhausted, physically and mentally. Everything that's happened just now catching up with her; now that Teddy was older and did not need as much attention as before.

Harry and Draco stayed with her and Teddy for a few days, making sure Andromeda was, and would be, alright, before taking Teddy and leaving.

They'd bought a house, cozy and all theirs, with no memories tainting the freshly coloured walls or secrets covered by the rugs. A big garden was in the back, and many toys already strewn throughout the house. It was everything Harry had ever wanted. Well, almost.

He wrote a letter to Ron and Hermione, just a short note, really. But he told them he was back, and that he missed them, and that he would like to meet with them once more; just for old time's sake.

He did not expect a reply.

He wasn't surprised when he got none.

Instead, Harry simply turned to his boyfriend and godson. His family. His own.

When Draco had his shifts at Saint Mungo's, Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, he stayed home with Teddy. And while Teddy was sleeping or Draco taking care of him, then he was in his study tinkering away; enchanting mundane things, twisting spells, creating toys for his godson, whatever caught his fancy.

It was so idilic. So perfect.

Past demons were gone, vanished to the back of his mind. Nowhere he went where shadows. Memories of a war long passed were gone, replaced by shiny, new facades and better memories.

Hogwarts was once more as magnificent and magical as it was meant to be.

Many excited, happy children were enrolled in this great castle, learning of this hidden world and proudly showing their families all the magic they'd learned.

And if a not so close relative of a Muggle-raised witch or wizard found out? Well, they were still family, and after what happened to all of them during Voldemort's rise of power, a bit leniency could be shown. It was okay. It was peaceful and quiet, and that was the most important thing.

It continued like this:

On a sunny fall afternoon, the little family of three was just leisurely walking through Diagon Alley, when they met Ron and Hermione, all grown up and unseen for almost two years.

To say their conversation was awkward would be an understatement.

Gone was the easy camaraderie, the instinctive knowledge of their other two friends. It's nothing as it used to be, as Harry remembered and grieved it.

It was halting and not-knowing what to say, it were accusations of him not writing and staying away, of abandonment. It was criticising his new clothes and lack of glasses. It was berating him for breaking Ginny's heart and not being able to care for Teddy.