Chapter 29

"Sure, why not?" Ryujin replied. She wasn't going to tell her anything she didn't already know.

"What do you want to know?"

"Did I ever..." Ryujin paused before asking the same question she asked, centuries ago, to the Oracle of Delphi "...will I get to break the curse?" She asked quietly.

Lia shuffled the cards, and drew three of them. She opened wide eyes.

Ryujin didn't need her to interpret them. She could already see it for herself: a tower shattered by lightning, a heart pierced by three swords, and two people chained and dragged by a demon.

"It's all right," she said to Lia "I never thought it could turn out well."

"That's not what the cards tell us" Lia whispered "But you've got a whole battle ahead of you."

Ryujin let out a bitter laugh.

"I handle battles well" it was the pain she felt in her heart that was going to finish her off.

-

Yeji wiped the tears from her face as she walked into the access path to the garden. She gritted her teeth as she got out of the car, and slammed the door shut with a loud bang.

To hell with Ryujin. She could be stuck in the book for eternity. She wasn't a piece of meat at her beck and call.

How could she...?

She fumbled in her pocket for the keys to the entrance.

"And how could her not?"

She muttered. She pulled out the key and unlocked the door. Anger consumed her. She was being unreasonable, and she knew it. Ryujin was not to blame that Yeonjun had been a selfish pig.

Just as she wasn't to blame for her fear of being used.

She was blaming Ryujin for something she hadn't participated in, but still....

She just wanted someone who loved her. Someone who wanted to stay by her side.

And she had hoped that by helping Ryujin, she would stay close and....

She closed the door and shook her head. As much as she wished things were different, nothing was going to change, since it wasn't meant to be otherwise.

She had heard what Ben told about Ryujin's life. The story that Ryujin herself told the children about the battle.

Yeji remembered the way she had crossed the street like an exhalation to save the boy.

Ryujin had been born to lead an army. She did not belong to this age. She belonged to her old world.

It was very selfish of her to try to keep her by her side, as if she were a pet that had just been rescued.

Yeji trudged up the stairs, heartbroken. She would have to
get away from her. It was all she could do. Because, deep down, she knew that the more she knew about Ryujin, the more fond she would become of her. And if she had no intention of staying, she would end up very hurt.

She had gone halfway up the stairs, when someone knocked on the front door. For an instant, her spirits lifted at the thought that it might be Ryujin; until she reached the door and saw the silhouette of a short man waiting on the porch.

She half-opened the door and gasped.

It was Rodney Carmichael.

He was wearing a dark brown suit, with a yellow shirt and red tie. He had combed back his short black hair and was giving her a beaming smile.