Chapter 1-The Dare

(A/n: If you're unaware what the game gay chicken is, it's described in the books description. It's important you know what it is before reading.)

Emma thought it would be funny to walk up to her headmistress one day and convince her it would be funny to compete in a game of gay chicken against you. Now when she tried to say no Emma just mentioned how she'd just lose respect for her ymbryne forever for backing down from a challenge. And though Alma knew that wasn't true, she decided to humor Emma for a day or two.

The girl had already gotten you to agree, knowing full well of how you already felt for her headmistress. Now all that was left was to go over the terms of the deal with the both of you, because she wanted progress, not the both of you acting like normal.

"I know very well this probably won't last long so I think you two should go on a date to mark the start of the challenge. And if it does happen to last a long time you'll have to have at least two dates a month. Now I'm expecting flirting, it wouldn't be complete without it. And kisses, even if just on the cheek, good morning and goodnight. You don't have to act overly couple-y in front of the us and we're not even going to tell the younger children because they won't understand the game. Ages Fiona and up will know. Can you agree to those terms?"

You nodded, not trusting yourself to speak. "Knowing you, it could be much worse." Alma spoke, shrugging.

"Wonderful! What a great day, for me, you two are in for it." She stood up from her chair in the parlor and made for the door. "Have a great day, lovebirds!" She spoke as she left the room. She'd definitely go and tell everyone about what just happened immediately.

You sort of just stared at the floor for a good three minutes until Alma waved her hand in front of your face. "Earth to Y/n. Are you alright?" She asked when she noticed you zone back in.

"Hm, maybe." She gave you a curious look. "I'll be alright if this doesn't go down in flames like I suspect it will." She laughed at your unease.

"It's just a game, darling. It won't be the end of the world." She stood, holding her hand out to you. "Now come along, you still have to help me prepare lunch." You nodded, taking her hand and standing up. She led you to the kitchen, never letting go of your hand.

Thankfully cooking wasn't anymore awkward than it normally was. Well until you felt a pair of hands wrap around your waist and someone's chin rest on your shoulder. Your breath hitched when you realized that the person pressing into your back was Miss P. "What are you doing, Miss Peregrine?"

She hummed, tightening her arms for a moment. "Call me Alma. I mean, we are dating after all." You subconsciously leaned back into her as you continued with what you were doing, cutting fruit. You tried to fix your breathing as you focused on what was in front of you, though Alma had obviously already finished with her job as she didn't pull away from you.

You heard some low murmuring, you couldn't make out the words but the voice didn't seem to come from Miss Peregrine. "Go away, Millard." She muttered. You looked to your side, met only with empty air, he was naked, again.

"I will if you just do it, Miss Peregrine. I'm trying to win a bet here!" She sighed and removed herself from you, instead grabbing your chin in her hand and turning your head to look at her and kissing your cheek. "Yes! I just won five bucks!" You heard him yell, the sound of feet leaving the room.

"I- Alma, what was that?"

She smiled and shrugged. "Hugh and Millard bet on who would initiate the first kiss. Millard made the smart choice, for the first time in a while."

You grumbled to yourself during the entire rest of the cooking process, often repeating 'don't do anything stupid'. All through lunch you glared at your plate like your salad was going to try and kill you. And honestly, you wish it would. "Is something wrong, Y/n?" Emma was the one to ask.

"Everything is perfectly fine." You said coldly, finally picking up your fork and practically stabbing it into the lettuce in front of you. You avoided eye contact with everyone throughout the meal, though you could feel their eyes on you. Where had this foul mood suddenly come from? They wondered. Though the only question on your mind was how Alma could manage to bring out the worst and best in you like it was nothing.

After lunch ended you were the first to get up, dropping your dishes in the sink before walking off. Normally you insisted on doing the dishes for Miss Peregrine as she was already so busy, but you didn't want to be around her just to be teased again. "Y/n! Where are you going? What's wrong?" Emma chased after you as you went to your room.

"This game is wrong! You knew about my feelings and decided to ask me to play in this stupid game anyway. And now it's absolute torture for me to be in a fake ass relationship with her, when I want anything but. And of course I'm much too competitive to give in and let her win. Plus if I quit after acting like that she'll know something is wrong and will continue bothering me until I tell her what! It's a lose-lose situation, that you put me in!" You nearly yelled as you spoke but tried not to be too loud in case someone were to walk by your door and hear.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Listen, I'm sure she doesn't intend to let this go on very long, you know her. She'll probably give up in a day or two, if you can wait that long?" You sighed and nodded. "Great, I'll see you later." She spoke, leaving the room at last.

"Hey, love?" Oh look, Alma stood in your doorframe now. You groaned at the name and went to go lay on your bed, covering your face with a pillow. "Have I done something? Is it the game? We don't have to play if you don't want to." She shut the door behind her before walking further into the room and sitting on the edge of your bed.

"I'm fine." You said, removing the pillow and sitting up. "Just tired and sadly the day is far from over."

"Then I suppose I can take it easy on you chore wise today. Though I do ask you come back downstairs with me, I don't want you to stay up here all day. Plus if you fall asleep now you'll never sleep tonight." You sighed and took the hand she'd held out to you.

"Fine." You groaned dramatically but followed her out of the room anyway.

—————

This is already looking bad